Super Contributor

Re: Need suggestion to naturally lower cholesterol

[ Edited ]

@SandPiper wrote:

@hoosieroriginal This is what I tried to lower my cholesterol. Red rice yeast (lookup online for more info). It didn't work. I tried Metamucil which lowers cholesterol. Didn't work for me. I went on a low fat diet and still didn't lower it. As much as I hated to go on statins, I had to. I am taking them 2x a week. 

I think I'll ask the doctor if I could try the turmeric as @SilleeMee suggested. Maybe that will work. 

Hope something natural works for you.  

I listen to Dr radio and all those doctors praise the use of statins and say especially all male drs over the age of 40 take them just as a preventative measure. They do acknowledge some people cannot take them to to muscle pain, but think nearly every older person should be on them. 

I was taking Turmeric and my doctor took me off ALL supplements because of high liver enzymes - course statins might effect my liver as well. All those supplements can be hard on your liver.    Just remember that supplements are not regulated and just because it is "natural" does not mean it  cannot  be harmful. Once damage is done to organs, not sure it can be reversed. Good health to you all!
Honored Contributor

I started with high cholesterol in my early fifties after menopause. My doctor let me try all the natural products I wanted along with diet, exercise and weight loss. Nothing I did made a significant difference in my numbers. I've been on statins for 10 years and my numbers are normal according to the lab tests. I take CoQ10 daily and luckily do not have any outward side effects from this drug so far. I must say though, I have a family history of heart disease. The males on my maternal side all have had bypass surgery and all the women died with CHF. I do have an 82 year old aunt who is still alive, but she doesn't eat anything and she too has taken a statin for 30 years. 

Trusted Contributor

It used to be that drugs were supposed to be a temporary fix to a problem. Now they've become a way of life for so many of us. That can't be how God intended us to live. : (

Trusted Contributor

My cholesterol is in the normal range (I'm 58), and I've been taking Omega-3 for a few years now along with my multivitamin. Recently, I added drinking a big glass of water mixed w/1-2Tbsp of pomegranate vinegar to my breakfast  of steel cut oatmeal w/quinoa topped with dark red cherries. I add a smidge of honey to the vinegar drink to cut the bitterness a bit. Feels good to know that I'm doing something positive for my health. It might not be much, but I start my day taking care of me!

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Dr. called after I had my carotid scan and suggested I go on statin.  I am making appt with her to discuss, but I have heard so many bad things about them - looking for something more natural.  Checked out Andrew Lessman's cholesterol supplement and egads!  expensive!  Especially if you are taking three a day!  I've read some reviews on Amazon but wondered if anyone here could suggest a good supplement.  TIA folks!

@hoosieroriginal  I know that losing weight does wonders for all values, but if you don't need to lose any weight, I would say research what food is good for lowering it, and exercise is important.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Dr. called after I had my carotid scan and suggested I go on statin.  I am making appt with her to discuss, but I have heard so many bad things about them - looking for something more natural.  Checked out Andrew Lessman's cholesterol supplement and egads!  expensive!  Especially if you are taking three a day!  I've read some reviews on Amazon but wondered if anyone here could suggest a good supplement.  TIA folks!

@hoosieroriginal  I know that losing weight does wonders for all values, but if you don't need to lose any weight, I would say research what food is good for lowering it, and exercise is important.

@mousiegirl - I do need to lose about 10 pounds and have lost some since starting drinking all my water when I was dehydrated.  I'm taking Cholest-off, flaxseed, and getting the tumeric with black pepper from Amazon.  I'm going to check in with dr in 3 months to see if my numbers are down.  Walk dog twice a day and on treadmill each day also.  So I'm working at it!  Eating much better too!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This was on my FB page this morning.  Love celery stuffed with cream cheese or peanut butter!  Article said 2 stalks a day is enough.  That is a great afternoon snack for me.  I buy the stalks cleaned and ready to eat.  Worth it to me to have them ready to eat!

Honored Contributor

I know celery is probably good for you but it's something I've never really liked to eat...raw or cooked. I always pick out the pieces of celery from my food before I eat it. Weird huh?Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I am going to have me some celery and natural peanut butter for lunch today, add a bit of Season All to it.

Honored Contributor