Respected Contributor

Re: Need suggestion to naturally lower cholesterol

@SilleeMee wrote:

@CinNC wrote:

What brand of Tumeric capsules do you recommend? 

I have recommended this brand to my friends and suggested it here on this forum. This one is "standardized" and it is the 500mg capsules to be taken three times daily* with food for a total of 1500mg daily.  I might mention that this company, pipingrock dot com, quite often has this sup on sale and that means saving you sometimes 50% of the listed price which is good anyway. I buy 12-month supply when it goes on sale. @CinNC

I buy this one:

standardized-turmeric-curcumin-complex-500-mg-2841.jpg

Supplement Facts

Serving Size:  1 Quick Release Capsule
Servings Per Container:  120
  Amount
Per Serving % Daily
Value
(DV)
Turmeric Complex Proprietary Blend
Turmeric (Curcuma longa) (root) and Turmeric Extract (Curcuma longa) (root) (standardized to contain 95% curcuminoids)
500 mg*
Black Pepper Extract
(Piper nigrum) (fruit) (standardized to contain 95% piperine)
3 mg*
Other Ingredients: Gelatin Capsule, Silica, Rice Powder, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate.
Directions: For adults, take one (1) quick release capsule daily, preferably with a meal.
WARNING: If you are pregnant, nursing or taking any medications, consult your doctor before use. If any adverse reactions occur, immediately stop using this product and consult your doctor. If seal under cap is damaged or missing, do not use. Keep out of reach of children. Store in a cool, dry place.
* Daily Value (DV) not established.

The dosage of  "one capsule daily" seen on their label is not enough according to many credible articles written about the benefits of turmeric supplementation. I want to make sure you know  to take higher amounts (1500mg daily) to experience turmeric's benefits. Many people do not take enough and then dismiss turmeric as an effective supplement. 

@SilleeMee - Thanks!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal

Here is a link to a website that explains how unfiltered coffee raises cholesterol:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614162223.htm

I was drinking French Press coffee (which is unfiltered) and my checkup showed that my cholesterol was elevated to the point where my doctor wanted to put me on statins. I discovered the fact that unfiltered coffee can raise your cholesterol. I started putting my coffee through a paper filter and my cholesterol came down to normal. My doctor saw no need for statins.

French press coffee, boiled Scandinavian brew and espresso are methods of coffee brewing that retain the compound cafestrol.  Cafestol is the most potent dietary cholesterol-elevating agent known.

If you're drinking unfiltered coffee, try filtering your coffee or change your brewing method and see if your cholesterol comes down.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers!

Respected Contributor

@Fair Lady wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

Here is a link to a website that explains how unfiltered coffee raises cholesterol:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614162223.htm

I was drinking French Press coffee (which is unfiltered) and my checkup showed that my cholesterol was elevated to the point where my doctor wanted to put me on statins. I discovered the fact that unfiltered coffee can raise your cholesterol. I started putting my coffee through a paper filter and my cholesterol came down to normal. My doctor saw no need for statins.

French press coffee, boiled Scandinavian brew and espresso are methods of coffee brewing that retain the compound cafestrol.  Cafestol is the most potent dietary cholesterol-elevating agent known.

If you're drinking unfiltered coffee, try filtering your coffee or change your brewing method and see if your cholesterol comes down.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers!

@Fair Lady - interesting - but I don't drink coffee. 

Respected Contributor

cut way down on FATS! EXERCISE- 1-2 miles of walking 3 times a week!

Honored Contributor

Red yeast rice.  Same thing as a statin but in natural form.  I got mine off of Amazon very cheaply.  Brought my cholesterol right down along with changing my diet to eliminate sugar and processed foods and now I really don't have a problem the past few years.

I want to add I am very much in support of real high fat foods like nuts and dairy so I would not axe all fats from my diet.  Your brain needs them.  The trans fats found in processed foods are the ones that need to go.  

And it's the sugar and white foods that digest into sugar which are scraping up your arteries forcing your body to repair it all with cholesterol.  That's why I really made an effort to get sugar and high carbs out of my diet and my doctor has not threatened me with meds in two years since.  

Honored Contributor

At age 70, my mother was diagnosed with high cholesterol.   Knowing my mother cannot tolerate many medications, I urged her to try to lower her cholesterol thru better eating habits, before going on prescription meds.  

This diagnosis came shortly after my dad passed.  Breakfast to my dad meant fried meat and eggs; he loved thick bacon, sausage, or ham, several days a week.   After he died, my mom switched to oatmeal or Cheerios with banana for breakfast, and also cut back on cheese.  By the time she was rechecked in 3 months, her cholesterol had dropped to the higher range of normal, and by the end of that year she had lowered her cholesterol a total of 60 points.   At 83 she still does not take statin drugs.   

My dad did not have high cholesterol; my brothers and I do not have cholesterol issues either.   

Contributor

Earlier this year a nurse told me that one of her patients significantly reduced his cholesterol by eating steel-cut oatmeal nearly every day.  I'm eating it now about 3-4 times a week, and it has helped reduce my cholesterol, too.  Of course, this isn't an option if you don't like oatmeal.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

If people were doing that they would not be asking on how to Lowe chloresterol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ellaphant wrote:

@ellaphant

'...cut way down on FATS!'

This message needs to be repeated!

Especially saturated fat...animal products & oils. 

Honored Contributor

garlic capsules work well and are inexpensive-found in every grocery/drug/walmart etc.

also ginger capsules

I've also tried red yeast rice-has a lot of the same properties as statins without the side effects. Also found in vitamin section.

Have also used hyularonic acid-I like this-no side effects to me anyway.

Make sure you search each one to make sure they are okay for you. For example, garlic along with aspirin type things can make bleeding-like when you get a cut-it bleeds more-takes longer to clot if that makes sense.

Niacin is also effective and known to help with cholsterol levels-take with food to avoid upset stomach.

Actually most vitamins, herbs etc should be taken with food to avoid upset stomach.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"