Honored Contributor

Need sturdy tv/ recliner table- suggestions needed.

7E7E15B5-CD48-4ED6-A12B-E9CB4FB4D07B.jpegOur den is small. I have purchased the table mate type table, the “c “ shaped table with metal and wood materials. DH needs something for his recliner to use for meals , word puzzles etc. He says that everything is not stable and items  slide or fall off of the table. He needs something easy to sit with his legs. Last night spent many hours doing research. Found table on Amazon that has 3 sides like a butler table but more like a hospital bed table but the smallest length is 50 inches and need something smaller like 45 inches . Anyone found something similar or better?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need sturdy tv/ recliner table- suggestions needed.

I know you mentioned that you had a TableMate but is it the newest and largest model? They hold the weight and are adjustable which is always a plus. Just a thought.

My other thought was Pier 1. I always find the unique size of accent furniture in that store. The website is great. I have quite a few pieces from tham and am very pleased with the quality. 

The other line I would check is Oragami. (HSN) I'm not sure what they have with a solid top but they also sell additional shelf liners, etc. They hold the weight and usually have a wheel option.

Hope one of these works for your needs. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't had the need to shop for anything like that, but that one looks pretty good.  Anything smaller is going to have the the "X" design for the legs and they would not be able to accommodate your husbands legs underneath.  

Honored Contributor

I found the perfect solution for me; a students desk, just like the ones in current classrooms.   Very sturdy, nice flat surface for reading, eating or writing, stable, have the storage area underneath and not a huge piece of furniture.

Honored Contributor

@Fressa : DH really hated the table mate. Per your suggestions checked Pier 1 and HSN. DH doesn’t like the hospital tables. He really needs something like the one shown. I checked again on Amazon and the wooden tray is 

47 inches long so probably can’t make the other part shorter. Really can’t remove anything else from the den and  no way possible to rearrange room furniture to accommodate anything larger. DH has multiple health issues. He has a somewhat small recliner so not able to change that. I am desperate and frustrated. I appreciate your information and trying to help. Southern Bee 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch : Yes, totally agree. Issues with height or leg room. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@RedTop : Thanks for the suggestion. Trying to research this. What type of chair do you use? Can this be used with a recliner? Southern Bee 

Respected Contributor

@SouthernBee 

Here at the FL condo, I have a Lazy Boy recliner with a square end table beside it that is slightly lower than the arm.  I use it for heavier items.

I also use an iPad for my words games, reading the news, etc. and even eating at times.  My leg rest is always extended so I use a sturdy tray table with legs that can fold if needed.  Tray table was from BedBath.

Remember to measure the width of the chair for the correct width of a prospective tray....they are all different.

When not in use, I slip the folded tray table between the chair and end table....all out of the way but in easy reach.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee,

Mine was purchased at a county sale of used school equipment, and the legs adjust for whatever height I want.   I sit up on the edge of my recliner to use, which is what I wanted.  I love the storage area underneath.   

I have seen this type of desk sold thru Amazon, Office Max and I think Staples.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz : Thanks for the suggestions.  Will check bed bath. I have an IPad and love it but DH prefers his computer.

Southern Bee