Honored Contributor

Need "Expert" Advice for CoQ10

Are store brands as good as others?  Which ones to buy?  I read too many conflicting things!  What do you buy and how much do you take?  

I am old!  I'm going to try this, but don't know what to get!  Thanks for any advice!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need "Expert" Advice for CoQ10

Andrew Lessman (ProCaps) -- available online or at HSN

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Get ubiquinol instead of CoQ10; it's the naturally-occuring, faster-absorbing form of CoQ10.

100 mg. once daily is the average, but if you're on a statin and/or have any heart issues, the recommended dosage is 200 mg. once a day.

Some take 300 mg. daily, due to their cadiologist/other doc's recommendation. 

It will help your mitchondria, the little energy centers in most cells.

I always go on Amazon  for the highest-rated reviews and best prices; it's super-easy.  8)

Jarrow Formulas is an excellent brand (for any supplement) and one of my faves.

Honored Contributor

OH thanks!  I can never remember what is what with that stuff!  I don't have any heart issues and am not on medication for anything.  I just read that sometimes older people benefit from it.  I take a multi vitamin, d3 and sometimes a B12, but that's it.

Thanks for all the input!

Trusted Contributor

Get advice from reliable medical professionals.  There are no "experts" here -- only graduates of Google University.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought we had lots of "experts" here!  An "ex" is a has been and a  "spurt" is a drip under pressure!

Esteemed Contributor

My young female doctor told me to take CoQ10 if and when you take cholesterol meds. 

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

Get advice from reliable medical professionals.  There are no "experts" here -- only graduates of Google University.

I have been here since the beginning and I respect the advice and experiences of many of our posters.  Yes, I have a doctor.  No, this isn't something I need to consult him about.  I am just asking people what they buy and where and why.  I doubt he shops a lot for this so, he wouldn't be a good source for this.

Honored Contributor

I take AL's CoQ10, but I'm on a statin and I take 300mg. If you are lucky enough not to be on any meds at your age I would just keep on doing what you are doing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy Andrew Lessman's every Sept when he has a TS. Make sure you only buy Kaneka. Check out https://ubiquinol.org there is info about ubiquinone and ubiquinol. It also lists the brands that are sold that use Kaneka.