Honored Contributor

Need "Expert" Advice for CoQ10

Are store brands as good as others?  Which ones to buy?  I read too many conflicting things!  What do you buy and how much do you take?  

I am old!  I'm going to try this, but don't know what to get!  Thanks for any advice!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need "Expert" Advice for CoQ10

Andrew Lessman (ProCaps) -- available online or at HSN

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Get ubiquinol instead of CoQ10; it's the naturally-occuring, faster-absorbing form of CoQ10.

100 mg. once daily is the average, but if you're on a statin and/or have any heart issues, the recommended dosage is 200 mg. once a day.

Some take 300 mg. daily, due to their cadiologist/other doc's recommendation. 

It will help your mitchondria, the little energy centers in most cells.

I always go on Amazon  for the highest-rated reviews and best prices; it's super-easy.  8)

Jarrow Formulas is an excellent brand (for any supplement) and one of my faves.

"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers."
Honored Contributor

OH thanks!  I can never remember what is what with that stuff!  I don't have any heart issues and am not on medication for anything.  I just read that sometimes older people benefit from it.  I take a multi vitamin, d3 and sometimes a B12, but that's it.

Thanks for all the input!

Trusted Contributor

Get advice from reliable medical professionals.  There are no "experts" here -- only graduates of Google University.

Esteemed Contributor

I thought we had lots of "experts" here!  An "ex" is a has been and a  "spurt" is a drip under pressure!

Esteemed Contributor

My young female doctor told me to take CoQ10 if and when you take cholesterol meds. 

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

Get advice from reliable medical professionals.  There are no "experts" here -- only graduates of Google University.

I have been here since the beginning and I respect the advice and experiences of many of our posters.  Yes, I have a doctor.  No, this isn't something I need to consult him about.  I am just asking people what they buy and where and why.  I doubt he shops a lot for this so, he wouldn't be a good source for this.

Honored Contributor

I take AL's CoQ10, but I'm on a statin and I take 300mg. If you are lucky enough not to be on any meds at your age I would just keep on doing what you are doing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I buy Andrew Lessman's every Sept when he has a TS. Make sure you only buy Kaneka. Check out https://ubiquinol.org there is info about ubiquinone and ubiquinol. It also lists the brands that are sold that use Kaneka.