Valued Contributor

Need advise and comfort tips please...had emergency Gallbladder Removal right after Christmas

They sent me home instead of keeping me in because I did not have nausea and all looked well. I did not get the advise I think I needed to though. I can't take codine meds so they gave me something with an opiant in it. Do I try to graduate off them, if so when would it be safe?

Guess my pain level is around 5+ when I try to get in and out of bed and to go up and down from a chair. I am tired of laying on back but on my sides it hurts a lot.

Diet...they said to just eat like you have the flu. Any advice on how long I should do that. I am only eating soup and crackers, and ginger ale. Given Colace but no results since surgery.

Is there a special non gallbladder menu that I should follow?

Thanks for your advise and tips.

Happy New Year, I hope it will be a good one for everyone reading the boards and the USA.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need advise and comfort tips please...had emergency Gallbladder Removal right after Christmas

Use the Internet and look at multiple , reliable sites for what to eat and do after gallbladder surgery. They will have more specific information. Drink clear liquids, tea, clear broth and jello for a few days.
Honored Contributor

Re: Need advise and comfort tips please...had emergency Gallbladder Removal right after Christmas

Your discharge planning was horrible! Shame on that nursing staff. Call your surgeons office and let them know that you have questions, concerns and pain. Also let them know how poorly the hospital did in preparing you for discharge.

Regular Contributor

I too had mine removed I felt so good and had passed gas~!!..... so wanted to go home especially since it took an hour for a coke. My husband wanted me to stay ( He didn't want to come get me ) ....LOL anyway I spoke to the charge nurse she released me I had NO pain felt great.

BUT....Listen...if you're having any pain after this long PLEASE GO TO ER I had a cousin die in the ER from a clot......don't ever hesitate if you feel something isn't right. I don't want to scare you but I can't just dismiss this post either and something happened.

Let us know how you're doing please.....

Regular Contributor

I had surgery about 5 yrs ago and I think you are exspecting too much too soon. You will be sore for awhile and it will be hard getting in bed and sitting down just take it real easy...I had almost fat free meals in hospital.Pretty bland food. As far as a diet Ive asked several dr's and they said each person is different and you will learn on your own what you can eat or not....sometimes I can eat one type of food just fine next week eat that same food and it will make me uncomfortable...just digestive problems you learn to live with....when you go in for your stitches or staples to be removed you can ask alot of questions then.....of course if you feel like its an emergency go to the hospital...I don't think I had any pain meds only tylenol which was enough......i did tire easily so I paced myself...and I didn't lift anything over 5 lbs....the more you are active you will feel better.Don't stay in bed all day but get up and when you feel weak lay down for awhile you will be fine.....

Frequent Contributor

Follow a bland diet for the next several days and advance slowly, as tolerated. Don't starve yourself or try to diet. Your body needs calories and protein to heal. Take your pain medicine if you need it. If you are in pain, don't be a superhero and try to go without it. Try to move about the house as much as you can. Walking is good. Try not to stress too much about the bowel movements. You will go. As long as you are not nauseated/vomiting, and are passing gas, you should be fine. Drink plenty of fluids. Hope this helps (I'm an RN). Sorry you didn't get very good discharge instructions.

Frequent Contributor

Get rid of the gluten from your diet immediately ... that would include crackers. At least 50% protein.
Esteemed Contributor

Long term experience:

I had my gall bladder out when I was 22. Ran in the family I guess. Anyway all these years later I am just fine and could and can now eat what I want. However we are all different. I have always been allergic to pepper so foods with it in it (in abundance) I cannot tolerate. Otherwise, I can eat anything and that might not be a good thing.

Valued Contributor

The nurse called me a couple times and answered my questions. She said I am where I would be expected to be pain wise and advised me to take Motrin and continue the bland diet for a couple months. Motrin seems to be taking care of the pain. Thank you all for all the great advice.