Esteemed Contributor

Need Your Recommendation for a Layperson's Book on Understanding Bipolar Disorder

My only remaining aunt on my mother's side has been estranged from her daughter per daughter's insistance for 3 years. There is a family dynamic here which is a bit complicated, but suffice it to say, my aunt's daughter, my first cousin, has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

My aunt called me yesterday in tears. She's "lost" her only daughter, doesn't know why the family isn't communicating with her and is at a loss about this relatively new diagnosis of bipolar disorder. She's 78 and is, at this point, not coping very well. (Lost her DH 4 years ago.)

We spoke for over an hour and I was left knowing that somehow in some small way that maybe I could make things a bit better for her. I sent her an "Angel of Hope" late yesterday and would really appreciate your recommendation for a book written to the layperson regarding bipolar: something my aunt can understand. If you can share a recommdation, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks so much in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Your Recommendation for a Layperson's Book on Understanding Bipolar Disorder

These books were recommended on psychcentral.com.

Learn more Learn more Learn more

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Your Recommendation for a Layperson's Book on Understanding Bipolar Disorder

lolakimono,

Thank you so much for the book recs!!!

Contributor

I really like ""Taking Charge of Bipolar Disorder"" by Julie Fast. The author has bipolar disorder herself. One thing I like about this book is that it has sections directly addressed to family members of those with bipolar disorder - ideas for helping them and also how to draw boundaries for themselves. It is a difficult diagnosis but so many people are able to lead successful lives with this disorder with the right medication and the right management.