Honored Contributor

I have a dental cleaning scheduled for June 1st.  Should I go and get it done.....or put it off say for a couple months and see how the infection rates are then.

I was concerned that when the second wave hits of the virus this fall....it might be worse to put it off  and not be able to do it at all....then to just go ahead now and take care of it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I feel we need to get on with our lives and continue with our preventive care.

You absolutely should go and I've said it on here before, you are much safer at the dental office than in the supermarket.  

Respected Contributor

I had one scheduled the end of this month and it was cancelled by the dentist office. They have not resceduled it yet.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have a dental cleaning scheduled for June 1st.  Should I go and get it done.....or put it off say for a couple months and see how the infection rates are then.

I was concerned that when the second wave hits of the virus this fall....it might be worse to put it off  and not be able to do it at all....then to just go ahead now and take care of it. 

@SeaMaiden you have to do what you feel comfortable with. My hygienist always wears a paper gown, gloves, and a mask and face shield, so I would feel comfortable getting my teeth cleaned ( I feel I need to keep up with my oral hygiene). I heard on tv someone in the dental field thought you should only have the hygienist manually clean your teeth, rather than using the ultra sonic scaler.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I would go now if you think you can handle it!  I think the faclities that are open now are trying to be exrtra careful so it might be a good time to go.  And after you get it over and done with, then you won't have to keep worrying about it.  I don't blame you for being fearful -- I am as well.  I am due for a cleaning, too and need to call.  I am going to see what they say and if they are open to do it, I will go.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

You've been extremely fortunate being blessed with great health - I wouldn't risk that.

By the tme the next wave hits we (experts and the public) will be better educated and much more equipped to handle it.

Respected Contributor

I feel no one can tell you what to do, in these times. Weigh all the pros and cons and see if a dental cleaning is worth it to you.

Esteemed Contributor

I went May 1st the day my dentist opened. The place was spotless, my hygienist was covered head to toe. I had no issues going. 

Esteemed Contributor

Personally I would wait until August especially since it is just a cleaning.  By then you will have a better idea of how the numbers are going and before the fall.  I would only go now if there was a problem.  Just me, but I am especially cautious.   

Respected Contributor

I also had an appointment and it was canceled by the office and not rescheduled yet.

I do a good job of cleaning (Sonicare and Waterpik) and I get a good grade when I go every six months. I am only going back if I feel some thing needs attention.

To those who feel they should simply "get on with their lives" should listen or read just one article from a Covid survivor. I just read a good one in the NYTimes this morning about a fellow who is a Ebola virus expert and jogger. In excellent condition, he got sick early March and is still recuperating with possibly permanent lung damage.  It's not worth it to me, I'll wait.