Esteemed Contributor

I would absolutely get it done. I've had (2) cleaning appointments cancelled, and not rescheduled. Dental offices are taking precautions. Why put it off? There is no guarantee that later in the year, the air will be disease free. I say we need to be cautious but get our lives back in order. The media caused such a frenzy that people don't want to leave their homes. Its overwhelming. 

Trusted Contributor

If you do not fall into a high risk group (65 and over with/without issues) I would go.  They are a dentist's office.  They already had medically sterile procedures in place which I'm sure they have added many layers to.  The masks are to protect them from you as we have been told.  So I'm sure they will be highly protected and will ensure you are as well.  I guarantee they are taking no chances with their hygienists, patients, and their reputation.  But it comes down to your fear level and being comfortable.  I will be 60 in July and never stopped going to the grocery stores and got my hair cut last week.  I have no underlying conditions other than my lower back which is a spinal issue and unless I was asymptomatic and obviously wouldn't have known, I never had a problem.  Been to my orthopadetics office several times now, going back Wednesday for another procedure.    Wore a mask in the stores but that's it.  I've washed my hands, used sanitizer when I couldn't and wiped down the carts, that's all the precautions I've taken.  But I am not afraid.  Just not.  Heights? yeah those scare the heck out of me.  i'm sure I'll get the you don't know what it can do to you.  Uh yes I do.  I have first responders in the family.  I've read the reports and seen the ventilator videos.  But you know what?  My daughter had cancer at age 3 (when her odds were much lower of survival).  Walked that childrens onocology ward for 9 years. Saw lots of painful procedures and tragic deaths.  She's had lupus for over 10 years and just had a baby on April 8th.   I have always felt if those kids can go through what they did every day then you know what? I couldn't walk in fear.  I mean, if they could go through all that pain than I had no reason to complain.   I have always felt that any given day I could die a million painful ways and so I just added this one to the list and kept on walking.  I just can't get myself worked up about it.  Again I'm sure there are those that will not understand, and that's fine.  I would not try to change the fearful.  Only do what you feel comfortable doing.  If you are not comfortable then turnaround and go home.    I do what I can and leave the rest up the man upstairs.  It is what it is.  And there is only so much you can control.  I figure I'll get hit with "you're crazy" or "you've just been lucky" well, maybe.  But that's how I handle this.  

Respected Contributor

I think everything depends on how well the staff are protecting you from their germs. You've already had work done by them during the pandemic, so you know their practices re masks, gowns, gloves, etc.

I would make the decision based on that and not statistics.

Respected Contributor

@Pook They did not literally "carry" me, they led me to a dental room.  EXCUSE ME.......

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Great pros and cons. Thanks so much!

I  think I will put it off for two months and see where this virus is headed....and how my dental office is doing.  Then in August reevaluate whether to go or not.  It is not essential....and I take care of my teeth.

I went in for a crown replacement emergency  before they opened in April...  maybe I should not risk going again so soon

thanks everyone❤️

If you went in April you would have had the virus long before now.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Your Opinion

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Great pros and cons. Thanks so much!

I  think I will put it off for two months and see where this virus is headed....and how my dental office is doing.  Then in August reevaluate whether to go or not.  It is not essential....and I take care of my teeth.

I went in for a crown replacement emergency  before they opened in April...  maybe I should not risk going again so soon. 

thanks everyone❤️

"thanks,  Mom"

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

I say we need to be cautious but get our lives back in order. The media caused such a frenzy that people don't want to leave their homes. Its overwhelming. 

thank God someone caused a "frenzy." As of today with 100,000 deaths, it's a good thing someone put the fear of God in us. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Your Opinion

[ Edited ]

I have yet to do frenzy during any of this, and my only fear is not to be with him in the end for eternity.  Since I know that I will be there then I have no fear.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden ...I am 65..dh is 79 we both had our teeth cleaned last week.

There were plenty of precautions taken before the cleaning.  We felt quite safe....unless you have major health issues, I'd keep the appointment.

Respected Contributor

Personally I would not want to be anywhere sitting around with my mouth agape and someone's hands in it. If it's just routine I'd wait it out. That being said, I use a sonic toothbrush twice daily so I basically have very little I need from the dentist at all.