Frequent Contributor

Re: Need Pillow Advice Please...

When I read your response,  I recognized myself.   For years, I would wake up with a headache and jaw pain.  I mentioned this to my doctor and his response was that I needed to replace my pillow because I had dust mites (every one does) and I am allergic to dust mites (per my allergy testing).  Then he said I needed to see my dentist, because the jaw pain was from grinding my teeth at night.  And I needed to be fitted for a night guard that would stop the jaw pain.   Well, I replaced my  pillow immediately....bingo....headaches stopped.  Then my dentist made a night guard that was custom designed for my teeth.....bingo....jaw pain stopped.    I have not found a pillow that I love...I tried My Pillow (killed my neck and shoulder), I tried $90 pillows(too soft),  I tried cheap pillow (bunched up),  I tried pillow for side sleepers, back sleepers, firm pillows, thick pillows..etc.   So if this forum could help me, please contribute.  Obviously, there are a lot of us that need some pillow comfort and sleep help.

Valued Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

How old is your mattress? That could be contributing to neck & shoulder pain. Made all the difference for me. Sorry I cannot offer advice about a pillow- such a personal thing. I use a combination of My Pillow and down surround purchased at Costco.

Oh, good point.  I should have mentioned we replaced our mattress last summer.  He really feels it has something to do with pillow support.  

Valued Contributor

@JuJu in NC wrote:

What kind of a sleeper is your husband  (, back, side , stomach).  that would be helpful to know regarding the type of pillow.

Another good point - I should have mentioned that information in my original post.  My DH usually sleeps on his back or side; and occasionally on his stomach.  He is kind of a ‘rotational’ sleeper, I guess 🙂

Honored Contributor

I struggle with neck issues and my favorite type of pillow is the type with one single piece of memory foarm.  I don't know what they are called but they have a mountain on each side and a valley in the middle.  Did that make sense?

The ones with pieces of foam just seem silly to me and don't get me started on that creepy pillow guy.

But the single piece memory foam type, if you find a good quality one, is really helpful.  Since I run hot I end up turning it around or over during the night to get a new, cool and firm, part.   You kind of tuck it under your neck and it comes up into the area and supports.   I always called them neck pillows but I guess neck pillow are actually those ones you use while sitting in an airplane. 

I wish I knew the brand of the one I use because it's nice and firm, and works great.  I tried buying another one and it wasn't quite the same.

Esteemed Contributor

Go to coophomegoods (you know the rest)......You won't be sorry.

you can google it or enter in your url with the three w's in front.  You can thank me later.

Grab this site before it disappears.

Trusted Contributor

I'm not a fan of My Pillow at all. I use the Bamboo Pillow and like it very much.
We need a new mattress also, as the one we purchased just last year from QVC is absolutely horrible!!!
Valued Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

you can google it or enter in your url with the three w's in front.  You can thank me later.

@sophiamarie is absolutely correct!  I've tried so many pillows through the years and they all failed until I discovered coophomegoods this year. My neck/shoulders are finally, FINALLY without pain and I'm sleeping thru the night. Incredible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sophiamarie wrote:

@sophiamarie,  It's okay to recommend other websites as long as we don't post hyperlinks to them.   Thanks for this -- looks interesting!

@Swedishmiss,  Just a thought...  my physical therapist helped me choose pillows.   Perhaps your husband's chiropractor would do the same and save both of you time and effort with trial and error -- each person has specific needs, so be wary of any seller who claims that one type/size fits all.   Best of luck in your search!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt 

"Don't get me started on that creepy pillow guy".

Interesting!

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

Anoother PLUS for this pillow is that they give you a 100 day money-back, no questions asked, guarantee.

They also give you an extra pack of "filling", which looks almost like 1/3 of the pillow.  Then, after a couple of days, I decided to remove some of the filling on the pillow because I felt it to be too firm - so I removed quite a bit from it.

Sooooo, between the extra they sent and the rest that I removed, I probably could have another pillow, albeit a smaller one.....  This is a win-win all the way around.

This is not foam..... It's cotton.  The outter cover has a zipper, plus the stuffing is in another case with a zipper.

P.S.  I do NOT work for this company.  LOL