Frequent Contributor

Re: Need Help with Affordable Care Act enrollment

On 12/3/2014 pas4116 said:
On 12/3/2014 brandiwine said:
On 12/3/2014 dobiesrule said: I would find an agent. It costs nothing more to have one and they would be a tremendous help.

ITA. This healthcare "system" is a total disaster! Let someone who knows how to deal with the computer sign up that won't let everyone sign up. So glad I'm still covered by my retirement plan. Expensive, but it works.

Several million people that were unable to get medical care can now afford to go to doctors - is this the best disaster you can come up with?

Yes, you can not influx the system with millions of people who now have 'free'healthcare. This is a disaster in the making. My rates have skyrocketed I also have a sky high deductible. We got dropped from our plan and our new plan stinks! Yes you can keep your plan if you like it...but it won't keep you. They need to open the state borders for insurance companies to compete...the government screws everything up.
Esteemed Contributor

For those calling the A*C*A a total disaster, there are about 9 million people who would disagree with you, including me! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Valued Contributor

On 12/3/2014 kittymomNC said:

For those calling the A*C*A a total disaster, there are about 9 million people who would disagree with you, including me! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

And me! I needed the Affordable Care Act. I had cancer and needed the policy that can't turn me down.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/3/2014 LoriMI said:

And me! I needed the Affordable Care Act. I had cancer and needed the policy that can't turn me down.

There are so many stories like yours - and I'm really glad it was available for you!

My son lost a job of 10 years due to health issues. When his COBRA was up, he didn't have a chance of getting insurance on his own. Thankfully this was available at the right time, because he got a good policy at a price he could pay, even though he hadn't been able to return to a regular job. I really don't know what we would have done if it hadn't been there for him -- it scares me to think about it. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor

People who are against the ACA are not aware how dangerously close every one of us is to financial ruin due to a prolonged or chronic illness. They think they are bullet proof. Well - unless you are a billionaire - you are not bulletproof. The wrong illness can cost many hundreds of thousands of dollars in the blink of an eye. And if you think , once you get ill , that you can count on your insurance - you are living in a fools paradise. As soon as you become ill they start searching for the excuse to drop you as you are now a liability to them.

42 years working in ICU - i have heard every sad tale you can imagine and then some. With all it's flaws the ACA is the best thing to happen to this country since medicare.

Honored Contributor

On 12/3/2014 LoriMI said:

I have had cancer twice - if I was not on medicare I imagine I would have to use the ACA to get insurance.

Honored Contributor

On 12/3/2014 bullyluv said:
On 12/3/2014 pas4116 said:
On 12/3/2014 brandiwine said:
On 12/3/2014 dobiesrule said: I would find an agent. It costs nothing more to have one and they would be a tremendous help.

ITA. This healthcare "system" is a total disaster! Let someone who knows how to deal with the computer sign up that won't let everyone sign up. So glad I'm still covered by my retirement plan. Expensive, but it works.

Several million people that were unable to get medical care can now afford to go to doctors - is this the best disaster you can come up with?

Yes, you can not influx the system with millions of people who now have 'free'healthcare. This is a disaster in the making. My rates have skyrocketed I also have a sky high deductible. We got dropped from our plan and our new plan stinks! Yes you can keep your plan if you like it...but it won't keep you. They need to open the state borders for insurance companies to compete...the government screws everything up.

YOUR RATES ARE NOT UP BECAUSE OF THE ACA - THEY ARE UP BECAUSE THE INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE PROFITEERING ON THE IGNORANCE OF PEOPLE WHO THINK THE RATE WENT UP BECAUSE OF THE ACA. IT DID NOT. It went up because the insurance companies are unscrupulous.Nothing to do with the ACA.

Honored Contributor

Ditto !! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Esteemed Contributor

I personally don't like a lot of the components of the ACA. But I have to use it this year. My Ltd is to much for medicaid. My question is once you have chosen a plan can you call a office and get signed up rather then doing it online.
Regular Contributor

LadyAlice my suggestion would be to call the help line a few more times and see if they have a different answer for you. I had to call that help line number many times last year when the start up of the healthcare.gov website was a complete non functioning disaster. I found that the answers changed over and over depending on who you talked to, and even scarier was that when I would question them they lost all confidence in what they were telling me. Fast forward to last week when I re enrolled and had a different type of website problem. I had to call and the first person I spoke to told me she had no idea why what was happening was happening. I asked to speak to a supervisor and halleluiah he was able to solve my problem and walk me through fixing it. I would try to get a supervisor or another representative and maybe there is another way to fix it without creating a new email. It is frustrating, I know.