Respected Contributor

Nebulizer use: mucous thinning

I understand that most users have medical lung conditions. But my question concerns the use of a nebulizer with saline for the thinning of mucous. I have a family member who has to use mucinex daily for mucous control. And yes, consulting a doctor would be indicated.

Do you have any experiences with saline/nebulizer NOT related to asthma, copd, etc?

Honored Contributor

Re: Nebulizer use: mucous thinning

[ Edited ]

@granddi 

My husband has asthma and COPD, and uses a nebulizer multiple times a day.  He also takes Mucinex daily to keep his drainage thin.  

Regardless of the health issue behind using a nebulizer, the purpose is to breath in a prescribed medication straight into your lungs; either steroids, antibiotics, or saline based meds, which will stimulate coughing to help eliminate mucous in the lungs.   

The process is still the same, the end result is the same, the only difference is the medication.

Esteemed Contributor

Get one of those nasal lavage machines  sold at Walgreens

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I understand that most users have medical lung conditions. But my question concerns the use of a nebulizer with saline for the thinning of mucous. I have a family member who has to use mucinex daily for mucous control. And yes, consulting a doctor would be indicated.

Do you have any experiences with saline/nebulizer NOT related to asthma, copd, etc?

@granddi Has this family member been checked for nasal polyps and/or enlarged turbinates?  DH used to tell me I snored a lot. I was unable to sleep soundly through the night and would awaken from a snort. I was never diagnosed with any kind of sleeping disorder but it often felt like I was stuffed up.  Then I started getting lots of nosebleeds.  This went on for MANY a months.  I had polyps removal and turbinate reduction surgery a little over 1.5 yrs. ago, which made a big difference.  Part of my ongoing treatment is to do saline nasal rinses twice daily along with a prescription nasal mist twice daily.  Polyps can grow back and turbinates can enlarge again but I'm doing good so far, as long as I keep up with my treatments.   My nasal rinse are done with a bottle, not a nebulizer.  If you have any other questions, let me know. 

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Get one of those nasal lavage machines  sold at Walgreens

They're $100.  An inexpensive NeilMed bottle works fine. I do it twice daily,  

Honored Contributor

There's a big difference in flushing excess mucous from the sinuses by rinsing, compared to bringing it out of the lungs with medication in a nebulizer.  

Respected Contributor

@RedTop @JeanLouiseFinch My husband had been Rx Ipratropium nasal spay, mucinex and Symbacort for control of mucous. He has seen an allergist too. He is a water drinker too. has has chest x-ray. Some days are worse than others and not good days are when the air qualirty is bad. 

I just thought maybe getting deeper into the lungs would be worth a try but he does not has dx of asthma, copd, etc. Thanks for all your input. 

Valued Contributor

I belong to a cancer group where excess mucus is a side affect from treatment.  They use a cool mist humidifier.