Honored Contributor

Re: Nearing 500,000 deaths from Coronovirus

@hckynut wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

Preventable mass tragedy. I'm more angry than sad.

@Porcelain 

How? 

hckynut

As a country we could have taken it seriously from the start as a threat. We didn't. That was a tragic choice.

If we had contained the contagion immediately like other countries did, many of our fellow citizens who died from Covid, people among the half million now dead, would still be with us.

If life is sacred, if there is any point at all to saving a life, then even one of those lost lives is an immense tragedy.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Touching ceremony in front of the WH today. I was crying. We need to honor those who have perished. This is not political but Americans remembering and honoring fellow Americans.

Respected Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

While these deaths are tragic and sad they should now have a very strong demographic of who the most effected was out of this.  From that a model for the highest "at risk" all the way to the lowest.  It's been obvious from the beginning that the record keeping on this has been all over the place and please I am NOT calling the virus a "hoax".  It is a virus, that when it infects someone with lowered immunities, and underlying issues can have a devistating outcome. We may not know for quite some time why a large portion of the population was asymptomatic, or only had very mild symptoms or not effected at all.  Why some that fell into the highest risk catagory got it and survived with little to no symptoms.  This is the stuff we need to know.  Because it's becoming apparent that not everyone has the same risk level, the same response level and it could be a key element into how the vaccine might provide more or less protection to the person receving it. For those that lost a loved one, this has been a heartbreaking year.  My heart goes out to you.  But the knowledge from these statistics coupled with any additional medical information on the people will provide a bigger picture to this and key puzzle pieces. And something the public should know.  

My husband and I wonder-we have been in the middle of this out and about since day one-part of his job is going into Covid positive work spaces and having them sanitzed and deep cleaned.  I have done nothing special beyond a mask and hand sanitizer.  We are both 60, and yes on the "fluffy" side of the weight scale and yet we had the healthiest year ever last year.  Could we have gotten it and been asymptomatic?  It's weird.  And more solid information as to how this thing and who this thing effects the most would be a big part of finding our way out of this.  500,000 is roughly 1.6 percentage of the US population.  It really would be solid knowledge to have a handle on what made these 500,000 have the tragic outcome to this and a far greater amount of people a far lesser outcome.  Because short of testing the entire population we will never really know who had it and who did not.  So our best information is with the tragic deaths from this since there have been false positives and we have no clue how many stayed at home and recovered without needing medical intervention.    

I often feel the same about wether myself or my husband has had or have it right now and have no symptoms. There's really no way to know how many cases there have been. We're careful but we're not complete hermits hiding from the world. I imagine the numbers of cases are much much higher than we ever will know about. And maybe we will also find out that no matter what we did we could all still get it at anytime. 

Honored Contributor

Porcelain

You said it !  I want to say what I feel but I would be poofed in a minute.  Thanks for putting it the way you did, with respect and dignity.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain 

How? 

hckynut

As a country we could have taken it seriously from the start as a threat. We didn't. That was a tragic choice.

If we had contained the contagion immediately like other countries did, many of our fellow citizens who died from Covid, people among the half million now dead, would still be with us.

If life is sacred, if there is any point at all to saving a life, then even one of those lost lives is an immense tragedy.

@Porcelain 

One word you used more than 1 time. For me it belongs in the category of "coulda/woulda/shoulda". It can be used for effect singularly or add the other oft quoted word.

IF or IF ONLY. Not sure to whom you are addressing with this word. My judging from some other posts, I have a pretty good idea. Me? I think it can be the word "whom's", or even a plurality.

Hey! Some people seem to have  to always blame someone, and that field is pretty wide open to anyone in the public eye.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Over  500,000, blows your mind when you really think about it,and some still think it does not exist, do not wear mask, selfish people they are.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I think some of the denial and playing around with numbers and words comes from guilt.

I was just questioning yesterday why I and people like me didn't peacefully protest when we knew everything was going wrong.  But would we have had several Kent States?

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Porcelain 

How? 

hckynut

@hckynut 

I think you know me well enough to know my answers, so I'm sitting on my paws.

But, I will say a goodly number of deaths could have been  prevented, and there are plenty of good data about it.

Best to you and Cindy and the Cats

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Over  500,000, blows your mind when you really think about it,and some still think it does not exist, do not wear mask, selfish people they are.

@goldensrbest 

Do you by chance remember what the original estimated deaths projected by 1 of these same "experts"?  I do! 

The number of half a million deaths is sad and staggering, but this same "expert" reminds me of the hockey flag I have on our 30' flagpole. A few days ago it was standing straight South because of the North Wind and a -40° temperature. Today a +40° hanging straight down.

This flag flows in the opposite direction of the wind, and it changes directions, because of the wind. Follow said "expert's" predictions from 1 year ago, and then remember my flag story. My flag has a lot in common, it blows with the oncoming winds.

And of course, it's everyone's fault. They  all are Egocentrics/Self Centered/Egomaniacal/narcissistic,  imbecilic, and like me even old farts, that could not care less about others.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest 

Do you by chance remember what the original estimated deaths projected by 1 of these same "experts"?  I do! 

The number of half a million deaths is sad and staggering, but this same "expert" reminds me of the hockey flag I have on our 30' flagpole. A few days ago it was standing straight South because of the North Wind and a -40° temperature. Today a +40° hanging straight down.

This flag flows in the opposite direction of the wind, and it changes directions, because of the wind. Follow said "expert's" predictions from 1 year ago, and then remember my flag story. My flag has a lot in common, it blows with the oncoming winds.

And of course, it's everyone's fault. They  all are Egocentrics/Self Centered/Egomaniacal/narcissistic,  imbecilic, and like me even old farts, that could not care less about others.

hckynut 

Indeed! I remember such things as if you don't do what we say you should get COVID or not be allowed to get treatment if you do get it. Even we should not be allowed a ventilator. 

If hospitals did not get extra compensation for COVID patients I might believe the numbers.