Valued Contributor

Re: Nausea: medication side effects

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

@vsm wrote:

What does his doctor say?  When I was on chemo, my doctor told me to take only certain anti-nausea meds, or I'd risk adverse interactions.  CBD is not always harmless.

Unfortunately, his doctors say they do not have anyting to offer him. He is in late stage Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

I am so sorry, @granddi . I was my husband's caregiver, who had terminal but treatable cancer for 7 years. I know how hard it is. I wish I could give you a hug. There is nothing easy about watching our loved ones suffer. Edited to add that I hope your friend has a lot of other friends around him like you, who are supportive and wanting to help. That means the world to the family. We lost a lot of friends who just didn't know how to deal with it.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD :  plus you get ginger's anti-inflammatory benefits.  8)

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Since my first chemo treatment in 2017 I was given a script (and refilled a couple of times) for odensatron, generic for Zofran to keep on hand. I SWEAR by it.

The first time I had some chemo related nausea I was in Safeway and pulled it out of my purse. I was so shakey that I asked a nearby employee to help me get it off the blister pack. She was so sweet and helped me and asked if I needed to sit down or anything.

It works, I swear, within 1 minute. I need it now and then and am grateful to have it.

@Love my grandkids  I have read that this can cause constipation and headaches.  Have you found this to be true?

Honored Contributor

@walkingal Never anything for me but blessed relief!

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids  That is good to hear.  I'm going to be taking that very soon myself.  

Valued Contributor

What everyone has said has helped me. I will add that if you are in the USA, you can find "GIN GINs" at Target with the stomach meds by the nausea meds. And at Whole Foods, Central Market, and on Amazon. There are chews and hard candy. I dislike the chews but I suck on them instead of chewing and you get a syrupy taste, not bad. The hard candy you just suck some of it and then stop. CBT doesn't help me, it makes my pain worse, so I have not tried it for nausea. I also have to keep food in my stomach, not big huge meal but a half sandwich or some yogurt, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@walkingal My dosage is 8 mg per pill, just FYI.

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@walkingal My dosage is 8 mg per pill, just FYI.

@Love my grandkids  My dosage is 8 mg too.  But I'm only to take it as a backup nausea med if Compazine is not enough.  

Honored Contributor

@walkingal Back in 2017 I was given scripts for compasinze as well. Supposed to take it first. First time I did it made me sooo sick I called the care team who told me to stop taking it and stick with the idensatron!

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids  That is a shame.  Today, my pharmacy where I had my meds filled recently, called me to talk about the Compazine and some of its common side effects.  They sound awful.  I don't know what to do.  I go to the Chemo Education class this Monday where I will be getting the chemo.  I will have a million questions for them!  But I guess after the call from my pharmacy today, I should call my medical oncologist too and see if she will suggest another med.