Super Contributor

@newjersey I have nausea with my acid reflux too.  I take meds, but also drink apple cidar vinegar (1 tablespoon) with 8 ounces of water to get fast relief (whenever I get an attack of nausea.)  I hope you feel better soon.  I was prescribed Aciphex, but my doctor switched me over to Prilosec OTC.  

Super Contributor

@summerwind, when I have a bad attack of GERD, that apple cider vinegar mixed with  water works wonders and works really fast!  I always keep a bottle in my kitchen cabinet.

Super Contributor

@Msfitness, I always keep a couple spray bottles with 1/2 water, 1/2 ACV around the house. Great for mosquito bites, I spray my dog after a bath, put it in my hair for detangling. Never know what you can find to use it for. I think I once saw a huge list of uses for ACV, but some were duplicates lol.

Also is a good substitute, if you really really want soda pop, but prefer not to drink the actual stuff. My son has a Sodastream, I want to try ACV with it sometime.

Super Contributor

@summerwind  Thanks for the spray bottle tip!!  That is also a good idea to try ACV in the soda stream!!  If you do it, please let me know how it tastes!  I will google the list for the different uses with ACV as soon as I log off.Woman Happy 

Respected Contributor

@hckynut

Thanks for your post. I enjoy your posts, they are always so informative. Life is too short to worry about those what if's. I am glad you are getting good reports. 

I myself had symptoms, plus have had my share of endoscopes, but not every year. I am due in January for one. Take care and keep feeling well.

@hckynut wrote:

@Leeny

Had it not been for my getting an Endoscopy, even though I had zero symptoms, I would not known I had Barrett's Esophagus. That is a precursor to Esophageal Cancer, which my late brother-in-law suffered. He lived 18 years after his diagnosis, into his late 70's.

I had other things found including GERD. Was put on Nexium twice a day, and am still currently taking the same. Many Endo's later, I still get one every year to make sure the Barrett's is under control. Get full CBC blood draw every year and every 3 months get blood drawn for my Iron and Iron Ferritin levels. When low, time for Iron Infusion.

No liver/kidney, or any other organ has out of range while taking this med. Like you, I want to live my type of active life, not concern myself with "what if's or could be's". All I know is feeling great/no concerns about any of my full blood panel results, and not a sign on a cancer cell.

Good post,

hckynut

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@cherryBe very cautious about taking proton pump inhibitors like Previcid, Nexium and similar types of drugs. I took these drugs for over 20 years and have reason to believe that they have caused permanent kidney damage.  I've been off of them for over a year, taking an OTC acid reducer instead. I'm doing fine on it. I cannot, however, take the NSAID I need for arthritis and back pain. I've tried several alternatives but have had bad reactions.

I'm afraid many people are taking the PPIs  without regard for long-term effects.  Try Pepcid, Tagamet or other acid reducers as alternatives, as well as diet modification.  Since the PPIs must be taken daily to be effective, how does anyone take them "as needed"?

I only take my Dexilant as needed meaning when I have a flare up or ongoing problems.  Years ago I was put on Prilosec but my doctor always told me to take it for 2 weeks and then stop.  If my problem persisted I needed to go back and see him. 

Same thing when I was put on Dexilant.  I'm not supposed to take it on a daily basis for weeks, months or years at a time.  I took it for about a month and was fine. That was 2 years ago and knock on wood I've not needed it again since.

I do think some people walk into a drugstore, buy stuff like Nexium, Prilosec, etc. and take one thinking it works like a Tums.  Those have to build up in your system to be effective.   

Honored Contributor

Some people can't take penicillin's. I can't take asprin or nsiads

PPIs work for me. I will not jump on the fear bandwagon, just because  some people have had bad results with them

I have had an endoscopy and seen several DRs . They have all advised me to take the drugs. THey are helping ,and I am not suffering like I did

It's easy to tell ill people ,not to use something, that will help them, when you aren't the one that is sick

Talk to your DR and let them help you. They know your situation, and  the risk involved, with doing nothing. People can die from cancer ,caused by gerd

Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ, thank you for this information. I am having another bout of stomach trouble. It's pretty bad. I just ordered the complete digestion pack of 3 bottles. Hoping it helps, pretty desperate.

Thanks again.:0)

Esteemed Contributor

@Renata22 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ, thank you for this information. I am having another bout of stomach trouble. It's pretty bad. I just ordered the complete digestion pack of 3 bottles. Hoping it helps, pretty desperate.

Thanks again.:0)

@Renata22 I hope you get the same results I did.I take the enzymes & the probiotic religiously. They have made a real difference in my life.

Good luck.Please let me know how you do.

Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ

I will! Hope to have a good report, so tired of these issues.