Honored Contributor

Natural remedy for dizziness/nausea

I will be on a 12 hour flight.  Several months ago someone suggested a great remedy for air sickness.  I'm not anticipating being sick, but I want to be prepared just in case.  Anyone remember what it was called or have any great suggestions.  I am packing ginger crystals.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Natural remedy for dizziness/nausea

Ginger, pepperment and cola.

Honored Contributor

Dramamine is what I had to take on past flights. It worked for me.

Valued Contributor

Anything containing some lemon in it.

Valued Contributor

I have used chewable Bonine when I flew and it was a great help.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd  I purchased a relief band...it's electronic battery powered...looks like a watch and works by using the acupuncture points in the wrist.  It does help me alot on flights...I got mine yrs ago....I googled and they do still make them and yep they are expensive (mine wasn't as much just about $100 back then).  Some people say to use the SeaBands wrist thing from drugstore...that didn't work for me at all.

I am a severe case of motion sickness/vertigo episodes and so on...I also take a prescription medication promenthazine plus the relief watch band thing and then I am ok and don't get sick.

I wish those other things like ginger crystals and so on worked for me but they simply don't.  Tried them all.  The other otc medications for motion sickness work well for me also and I always have those on hand too just in case there is alot of turbulence.

Also I know making sure to eat food prior to getting on the flight is key!  I always eat and take 1 pill or 1/2 pill....start my watch going as we board the plane. Having a empty stomach makes it worse which I used to think would be just the opposite but I learned over the yrs what works for me and what doesn't.  

Respected Contributor

@piperbay wrote:

I have used chewable Bonine when I flew and it was a great help.

Put the Bonine under your tongue. Use a few hours before you anticipate any problems. 

Respected Contributor

Dramamine or Bonine (brand names); meclazine (generic).

Dramamine also comes in a non-drowsy formulation.  Don't know if Bonine does, too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

None of the suggestions work for me. What works for me is not eating or drinking anything for hours before take off and during the flight plus keeping my eyes shut during take off and landing. Additionally, I opt for a seat over the wing. This has been remarkably effective. Otherwise, I loose my cookies every single flight.

Honored Contributor

There is all natural, non-drowsy dramamine which is ginger so you might just want to take ginger capsules.  A few people I know buy Sea Bands which work on your pressure points.

I don't know if I get sick from flying or not.  I always take something because I get horrible motion sickness from everything else so I suspect I would and I'm not about to find out.  I take a med from my doctor.