Honored Contributor

Natural reduction of blood pressure - tips

[ Edited ]

My BP sometimes is higher than my doctor would like.

I've learned various things in recent years how to manage it.

There is the obvious of exercise, meditation, losing weight, and so on.  There are also these things:

- Taking L-theanine helps to reduce it.  L-theanine is the amino acid component of green tea, the component that helps relax you. 

It comes in tablet form.

- Eating about three stalks of celery a day also helps.   If you get tired of chewing it (whether you adore celery or not), you can try blending it into a green smoothie.  One that I like is those 3 stalks of celery, one cucumber (peeled if regular; unpeeled if English), one unpeeled apple, enough leafy greens to fill the container (either lettuce, kale, or whatever you like), maybe add some parsley if you have it, then maybe a half cup of liquid (unfiltered apple juice plus water makes a nice combo).  I buy organic but that's up to you.

I bought a Vitamix (from QVC) just for this because I understand the Vitamix is the only one that can handle celery strings without difficulty.

Finally, I also read that purple potatoes can help reduce blood pressure.  (These are not for the smoothie!)  I haven't tried these potatoes yet since I haven't found any yet.  

Best wishes for good health.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Natural reduction of blood pressure - tips

@GingerPeach

Cinnamon and hibiscus tea are also good for this.  

Respected Contributor

I started taking Cinnamon caps a few months ago because I heard it was good for Dilabetes.  Last time I went to the CPC it was surprising how much lower my blood pressure was.  Very good news.  Obviously the only change is the Cinnamon, so it must be helping.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

There is the obvious of exercise, meditation, losing weight, and so on.  There are also these things:

- Taking L-theanine helps to reduce it.  L-theanine is the amino acid component of green tea, the component that helps relax you. 

It comes in tablet form.

- Eating about three stalks of celery a day also helps.   If you get tired of chewing it (whether you adore celery or not), you can try blending it into a green smoothie.  One that I like is those 3 stalks of celery, one cucumber (peeled if regular; unpeeled if English), one unpeeled apple, enough leafy greens to fill the container (either lettuce, kale, or whatever you like), maybe add some parsley if you have it, then maybe a half cup of liquid (unfiltered apple juice plus water makes a nice combo).  I buy organic but that's up to you.

I bought a Vitamix (from QVC) just for this because I understand the Vitamix is the only one that can handle celery strings without difficulty.

Finally, I also read that purple potatoes can help reduce blood pressure.  (These are not for the smoothie!)  I haven't tried these potatoes yet since I haven't found any yet.  

Celery has a lot of sodium in it.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for including the cinnamon suggestion.  I didn't include it because it can irritate the stomach lining and have other side effects for those susceptible.  I don't think I'd be a good candidate.

I hope it helps those who can use it.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I make a tincture of 8 hibiscus loaded tea bags and drink a glass of about 1/3 c of it every day, mixed with seltzer. 

Very tasty and works great.

Both my diastolic and systolic numbers are down about 25 points from when I started.

Although poster is correct that for a veggie, celery contains sodium, for some reason it DOES lower the blood pressure.

FOOD THERAPY!!!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

isn't drinking beet juice also helpful in lowering blood pressure?  i read that somewhere.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

It comes in tablet form.

VERY GOOD TIPS!   I would eliminate the supplements....and eliminate all traces of animal products...including dairy & eggs.  Guaranteed blood pressure reduction.  AND it's quick...you'll see immediate reduction within several days.    All potatoes are good! 

"It's all about the food"---Dr. John McDougall

Esteemed Contributor

Regardless of ones weight, losing a few pounds for many helps significantly in lowering their blood pressure numbers.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I take Andrew Lessman fish oil. I was taking 1 cap, switched to 2 & back to 1. My BP went up when I went back to 1. I'm now taking 2 again & my BP went back down. Works for me. I have heard that Hawthorn Berry, Garlic or magnesium helps. I have not tried any of thes yet. If mine goes back up I will.