Respected Contributor

Constulose...does anyone here have to swallow this nasty medicine? I have to take 1 tbls. every morning and it's almost more than I can do to swallow this down. (I usually take a sip of water to get the taste out of my mouth.)

I can't **not** take it...it's for a chronic condition and it's supposed to help my cognition so unless a miracle happens, I'm sentenced to it for the rest of my life.

The only thing is, I can't tell that it's helping. I've already been scolded by my son for repeating myself but I can't help it. I try not to burden friends and family but I guess it's time to tell him the truth.

I was hurt and angry when he ragged on me and even though I have to make allowances for the fact he doesn't know the whole story, it's hard for me not to be hurt. He doesn't need to know the whole story in order to be kind to his mother, and that's another form of ingratitude that bothers me a lot--we've done a LOT for him and his wife and daughter, and this is the thanks I get.

Honored Contributor

Can you mix this laxative with applesauce to help make it more palatable to swallow.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   I'm so sorry you have both  physical and emotional challenges.  I believe there are few emotional challenges more difficult to deal with than those that come from our own family.

Respected Contributor

ASK YOUR DOCTOR if you can mix it with fruit juice, water, or milk. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Constulose...does anyone here have to swallow this nasty medicine? I have to take 1 tbls. every morning and it's almost more than I can do to swallow this down. (I usually take a sip of water to get the taste out of my mouth.)

I can't **not** take it...it's for a chronic condition and it's supposed to help my cognition so unless a miracle happens, I'm sentenced to it for the rest of my life.

The only thing is, I can't tell that it's helping. I've already been scolded by my son for repeating myself but I can't help it. I try not to burden friends and family but I guess it's time to tell him the truth.

I was hurt and angry when he ragged on me and even though I have to make allowances for the fact he doesn't know the whole story, it's hard for me not to be hurt. He doesn't need to know the whole story in order to be kind to his mother, and that's another form of ingratitude that bothers me a lot--we've done a LOT for him and his wife and daughter, and this is the thanks I get.

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Best to talk with your prescribing doctor about this liquid prescription you are taking. Many liquid meds can be mixed with certain things to make them more palatable.

There was never an issue for me with my mother. When it came to her illnesses, I always wanted to know the whole story. I am not familiar enough with your family issues to comment any more than to say that.

Best wishes to you,

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Nasty medicine

[ Edited ]

You can remind your son that you listened to him repeat himself ad nauseum when he was a child and you probably never yelled at him for it, instead you tried to teach him and make him feel good.  Even if he doesn't know the whole story..... snce when is kindness dependent on knowing the whole story, you're his Mom and deserve kindness.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Can you mix this laxative with applesauce to help make it more palatable to swallow.

@RedTop  if the mixing won't work how about a little applesauce before and after? I like your idea for using applesauce. Hope @GoneButNotForgotten  checks with her Doctor.

Honored Contributor

Suck on a popsicle immediately after you take the medication.  

Honored Contributor

I would mix it with a 1/4 cup high flavor item like chocolate milk or lemonade.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  Make a call to the pharmacy. We flavor medications all the time for kids. It's free and easy for them to do if the medication is able to be flavored. Your pharmacist will also give you other suggestions as well and sometimes a substitution if there is another medication available for the same issue or sometimes the same medication is available in other forms like tablet as opposed to liquid. They can order a different form for you again usually at no charge if they don't keep it in stock. Worth a phone call to see what options they have.