Respected Contributor

We have the ones shown that looks like needle nose tool. They cut really well and the standard ones just don't work when your nails are thick.  

I purchased at the drug store and can find at lots of places.  

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs 

If your husband is over 65 and medicare, check to see if he is covered to go to a podiatrist to get nails clipped. Typically it is a covered visit and if his nails are that thick, they can SAFELY cut nails and work on calluses,  etc.

Those plier type cutters are very dangerous for people who do not have a good dexterity and flexibility. We have a friend who goes...every 7 or so weeks to have nails clipped. Said it was a life and marriage saver. Lol.

I don't know about Advantage Plans but Original Medicare only covers podiatrist visits every 10 weeks.

Respected Contributor

Re: Nail clippers

[ Edited ]

DH has nasty fungused toenails that he wasn't able to clip, regardless of the type of clipper. At one point, he cut one of his toes with some very sharp clippers, bleeding all over the place. He finally went to a podiatrist a few weeks ago, who was able to make great progress on trimming his toenails. He also prescribed a fungicide to address the toenail fungus. DH is also diabetic. The combination of Medicare A&B and Blue Cross covered all costs. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia 

Is he able to return for toenail trims on a regular basis with his insurance coverage as a diabetic?

I realize Medicare will pay for the procedure, but who can wait 7-10 weeks between trims? Asking since at some point, I may need to have a podiatrist trim my toenails and I also have BC-BS as my supplement. Would be more comfortable with the procedure done monthly (for checking on healthy feet). TIA!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the recomendations and advice.

Esteemed Contributor

Why doesn't he try using those scissors Mark Charles has been selling on ITKWD for years?

They're big enough for a man to easily handle and have rounded edges so he won't accidentally cut himself.

(I have a confession:  I have been known to trim my toenails when too lazy to pull-out my manicure kitWoman EmbarassedWoman LOL)

Esteemed Contributor

I just ordered the Spa-Rific set a few weeks ago for my husband. He likes them and they work well on his toe nails.

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs 

If your husband is over 65 and medicare, check to see if he is covered to go to a podiatrist to get nails clipped. Typically it is a covered visit and if his nails are that thick, they can SAFELY cut nails and work on calluses,  etc.

Those plier type cutters are very dangerous for people who do not have a good dexterity and flexibility. We have a friend who goes...every 7 or so weeks to have nails clipped. Said it was a life and marriage saver. Lol.

My sister is on Medicare and she has her toenails clipped and callus removed by a podiatrist.  Medicare pays.  It's a great benefit that many people are not aware of.  She's not 65 but she's on disability and a Medicare beneficiary.

Valued Contributor

On the subject of clipping toenails, if a person is diabetic, please go to a podiatrist---they clip all kinds of toenails beautifully and take care of any problems quickly before they become serious. It's not worth taking a chance on injuring yourself or getting an infection---diabetics can get infected essily. Not worth losing a toe (or a foot!) over.

I go every six weeks and my Medicare plan covers the visit.

Honored Contributor

Those look good, are they really sharp?   The problem I have is most I find are not sharp enough and I end up hacking up my toe nails

@Fressa wrote:

I just ordered the Spa-Rific set a few weeks ago for my husband. He likes them and they work well on his toe nails.