Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia 

Is he able to return for toenail trims on a regular basis with his insurance coverage as a diabetic?

I realize Medicare will pay for the procedure, but who can wait 7-10 weeks between trims? Asking since at some point, I may need to have a podiatrist trim my toenails and I also have BC-BS as my supplement. Would be more comfortable with the procedure done monthly (for checking on healthy feet). TIA!

@BirkiLady  DH said he made a follow-up appointment, but can't remember when it is. He thought it was about 6 weeks but didn't bother writing it down because they'll send him a reminder. Sorry I couldn't be more specific. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia 

Thanks for your reply. Have the feeling I'll continue to trim my own toenails on a frequent basis!

Doubt every six weeks would be comfortable for me since I have been trimming toenails every other week and fingernails weekly for as long as I've been old enough to do so. I'm 75 and cannot imagine waiting so long between trims.    

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@kate2357 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs 

If your husband is over 65 and medicare, check to see if he is covered to go to a podiatrist to get nails clipped. Typically it is a covered visit and if his nails are that thick, they can SAFELY cut nails and work on calluses,  etc.

Those plier type cutters are very dangerous for people who do not have a good dexterity and flexibility. We have a friend who goes...every 7 or so weeks to have nails clipped. Said it was a life and marriage saver. Lol.

I don't know about Advantage Plans but Original Medicare only covers podiatrist visits every 10 weeks.

@CelticCrafter @just a suggestion for the in between appointment times what about just using a nail file? I know it's not the same but could get you by.

Respected Contributor

DH has Medicare and has several foot issues, but Medicare doesn't cover much of anything, including toenail trimming,  since he is not diabetic. I usually trim them for him on the patio about once a month. They are thickened with his age, so the wide jaw ones sound good. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nail clippers

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Someone here recommended these wide-jaw toenails clippers and I can't say enough about them. Good ones for sure!

$10 on Amazon.

@SilleeMee  these seem as if they would work a lot better. Easier to handle

71uKoi2J4YL._SX466_.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

DH has Medicare and has several foot issues, but Medicare doesn't cover much of anything, including toenail trimming,  since he is not diabetic. I usually trim them for him on the patio about once a month. They are thickened with his age, so the wide jaw ones sound good. 

@Trailrun23  You don't have to be diabetic for Medicare to cover toenail trimming.  It covers it for anyone on Medicare.  I took my father to the Podiatrist for that until he went into Assisted Living.  At that point, a Podiatrist came to the facility and cut everyone's nails that wanted it.  Then Medicare paid for it.  He was not diabetic.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau