Honored Contributor

Re: Nail Polish During Surgery?

@Pink123 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Pink123 wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

The device they clip onto your finger measures the oxygen levels in you, sometimes the nail polish will interfere and not give an accurate reading.  It is a cautionary measure.

@Somertime wrote:

The device they clip onto your finger measures the oxygen levels in you, sometimes the nail polish will interfere and not give an accurate reading.  It is a cautionary measure.

I'm not so sure about that as I have my oxygen levels tested qiute a bit.  Does not matter at all. I'm most of the time 100 percent.

Some of this astounds me.

I have had two major surgeries in the past 4 months. One was an emergency surgery and I wore nail polish and makeup. No one said one word to me about removing any of it @Pink123 . It astounds me too.🥺

Yes @Trinity11  I think it was years ago when they had this rule?

I'm not sure.  We must have been kids in our twenties or so. 

Today, no problem.  I guess science contiues to update. 

Hope your feeling pretty good.  Smiley Happy

Thanks @Pink123 ....finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I had a really nice day today and went out for lunch and had a makeover at a makeup counter in a nearby mall. Spent too much but enjoyed every minute of it!Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Pink123 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Pink123 wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

I'm not so sure about that as I have my oxygen levels tested qiute a bit.  Does not matter at all. I'm most of the time 100 percent.

I have had two major surgeries in the past 4 months. One was an emergency surgery and I wore nail polish and makeup. No one said one word to me about removing any of it @Pink123 . It astounds me too.🥺

Thanks @Pink123 ....finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I had a really nice day today and went out for lunch and had a makeover at a makeup counter in a nearby mall. Spent too much but enjoyed every minute of it!Woman Happy

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Pink123 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Pink123 wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

@Trinity11  Yay, I'm so happy for you oh my goodness!  You are a shining light here on thiese forums and everyone knows it..... So happy about the makeover too. God bless.Heart

Respected Contributor

As an RN, I was taught no nail polish in surgery.  It was so your fingernails could be observed for change in oxygen levels.  Working with patients, we were required to have them take off polish if they had it on.  We had boxes of nail polish remover right there for it.  It was on our checklist of things to have done before surgery.

The addition of the pulse oximeter has changed it for some.  But they are not super accurate on everyone.  Oxygen levels are CRUCIAL to monitor in surgery.

I'd take the polish off!

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

Um, put it in this perspective, do you want your nails polished or do you want the medical professionals to be able to tell if your nails are turning blue due to lack of oxygen during your procedure. I suspect you can repaint your nails during recovery. I always make sure my nails are unpolished for any surgery I've ever had.