Esteemed Contributor

Re: Nail Polish During Surgery?

I had two Cervical Spine Fusions and a hysterectomy and was never prescribe anything to shower with. Maybe I was already too clean? lol.

Super Contributor

@AnnieBelle wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

If I were having an upcoming surgery the last thing I'd be worrying about is whether I should wear nail polish or not! JMO Woman Surprised

This may, in fact, be the last thing OP is worrying about prior to surgery. She didn't say her only concern was if she could keep her nail polish on!  I'm sure she has plenty of other worries higher up on her list, but wearing nail polish is a legitimate question.  

I don't get why some people feel the need to tell others what to worry about and what is silly!

I'd have the same question.  When I remove nail polish or nail wraps and don't replace it with at least a clear coat, my nail beds begin to hurt after an hour or two, and they'll continue to hurt until I put a coat of something on them.

@AnnieBelle   I would be concerned about painful nail beds.  Never heard of such a thing.  And putting on a coat of polish takes the pain away??  

Respected Contributor

@grandma r  How are you and hubby?  I haven't posted for about  a month and looked in yesterday (I think it was yesterday). Anyway, i popped in and wanted to see how you and @Tique were. Surprise, in my notification, there was a post from Tique.  Tique is doing well and asked about you, since I'm interested in both you and hubby. You both, seem to be doing alright. Is that a true statement?  I hope so. I did see that you were spending more time outside but not my boyfriend. Ok, 1 out of 2 ain't bad!

I tape the show and rarely watch in real time. Without being specific, some of the threads, have no heart. Let's leave that behind here.

Anyway, if you're interested in responding to this post (we'd love to know how you REALLY are), look at the Among Friends thread and you'll find 2 friends.

Take care and send my other friend a hug.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

@Bubby Mommy Good luck with your surgery.  I would check the directions you are given for before the surgery and follow those.  I've had 4 surgeries since 2020 plus a colonoscopy and all of them asked for no make up/nail polish.  I did get an infection from my first operation (even though I followed all the rules), after that experience I am taking no chances.    

Regular Contributor

@AnnieBelle   I would be concerned about painful nail beds.  Never heard of such a thing.  And putting on a coat of polish takes the pain away??  

I know - it's weird.  I guess pain is too strong a word, but ache maybe.  I suppose if I left it go without putting a coat of something on them, it would subside eventurally, but I always put on at least a clear coat.  I ran into someone else who had the same situation - she thoutght it might be a reaction or sensitivity to something in nail poslish remover.  If I were to let my nails go and the clear coat wore after after a period of time, no discomfort.  So it seems that the remover might be the culprit.  

Honored Contributor

I've had lots of surgeries, procedures, and hospital stays in my time. I never wore makeup or nail polish.

I understand some people are self-conscious without their face and nails done. My friend insisted wearing lipstick to a procedure a couple months ago. They removed it. The first thing she asked me for when she woke up from anesthesia was her lipstick.

I only wear clear or very pale polish so it was never a big deal for me to remove it. I would rather be seen with makeup, but I would never consider wearing any of that during surgery. 

Honored Contributor

It was about 20 years ago that I had major surgery ... it was explained to me that the reason for no nail polish is that the change of color of the nails is the first indication of a problem with oxygen levels when under anesthesia.

Esteemed Contributor

@SamBrown wrote:

@AnnieBelle wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

If I were having an upcoming surgery the last thing I'd be worrying about is whether I should wear nail polish or not! JMO Woman Surprised

This may, in fact, be the last thing OP is worrying about prior to surgery. She didn't say her only concern was if she could keep her nail polish on!  I'm sure she has plenty of other worries higher up on her list, but wearing nail polish is a legitimate question.  

I don't get why some people feel the need to tell others what to worry about and what is silly!

I'd have the same question.  When I remove nail polish or nail wraps and don't replace it with at least a clear coat, my nail beds begin to hurt after an hour or two, and they'll continue to hurt until I put a coat of something on them.

@SamBrown    I agree with you .  I've had surgeries and yes very concerned about the surgery itself and my outcome .  I also wanted to know if I could wear my polish as limebyiu my nails hurt when I have bare nails !  I at least need clear polish on them .  I don't find it unusual I know others that have the same issue as well !

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

The device they clip onto your finger measures the oxygen levels in you, sometimes the nail polish will interfere and not give an accurate reading.  It is a cautionary measure.

@Somertime wrote:

The device they clip onto your finger measures the oxygen levels in you, sometimes the nail polish will interfere and not give an accurate reading.  It is a cautionary measure.

I'm not so sure about that as I have my oxygen levels tested qiute a bit.  Does not matter at all. I'm most of the time 100 percent.

Some of this astounds me.

I have had two major surgeries in the past 4 months. One was an emergency surgery and I wore nail polish and makeup. No one said one word to me about removing any of it @Pink123 . It astounds me too.🥺

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Pink123 wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

I'm not so sure about that as I have my oxygen levels tested qiute a bit.  Does not matter at all. I'm most of the time 100 percent.

Some of this astounds me.

I have had two major surgeries in the past 4 months. One was an emergency surgery and I wore nail polish and makeup. No one said one word to me about removing any of it @Pink123 . It astounds me too.🥺

Yes @Trinity11  I think it was years ago when they had this rule?

I'm not sure.  We must have been kids in our twenties or so. 

Today, no problem.  I guess science contiues to update. 

Hope your feeling pretty good.  Smiley Happy