Trusted Contributor

Re: Nail Polish During Surgery?

[ Edited ]

@Somertime wrote:

The device they clip onto your finger measures the oxygen levels in you, sometimes the nail polish will interfere and not give an accurate reading.  It is a cautionary measure.

@Somertime wrote:

The device they clip onto your finger measures the oxygen levels in you, sometimes the nail polish will interfere and not give an accurate reading.  It is a cautionary measure.

I'm not so sure about that as I have my oxygen levels tested qiute a bit.  Does not matter at all. I'm most of the time 100 percent.

Some of this astounds me.

Honored Contributor

I have had several surgeries in my lifetime and I was never told to remove nail polish.  But I did.  It just made sense.  Hubby is an RN.  He just said nail polish isn't really a problem.  If they want to check the nail bed to assess oxygen levels, they have remover.  They'll remove the polish on one nail.  It's acrylic nails that can present a problem with the pulse oximeter and for infection control.  Fake nails and the nails under them are petri dishes.  Some surgeons will postpone elective surgeries if the patients fail to remove their fake nails.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I were having an upcoming surgery the last thing I'd be worrying about is whether I should wear nail polish or not! JMO Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

If I were having an upcoming surgery the last thing I'd be worrying about is whether I should wear nail polish or not! JMO Woman Surprised

Remember that old saying from your mom, 'We don't wear underpants with holes in them! What if you were in an accident??' Same thing. I guess it's a pride thing. When I had surgery I did a pedicure myself. (well, I painted my toenails is all). The surgeoun told me 'all the girls liked your toenail polish' hahaha. I'm glad they were all girls considering where the surgery was.

Valued Contributor

Honestly, I wouldn't take the chance.  Had a friend who had not seen anything about not wearing polish had her surgery cancelled arter she got there that morning since she had polish on her nails.  It probably depends on more than the dr.  Don't chance it.

Respected Contributor

I have had 4 surgeries: 3 spine and a hip replacement.  my surgeons want as clean bacteria-free bodies as possible.

Bacteria is a big deal in hospitals. 

Staph can be present on the skin and we are not aware of it. 

i place a dab of mupiricin (Bacroban) ointment in each nostril before heading to hospital.  MRSA colonizes in the nose. i had an infected cut on my knee in the past. Dr sent swab to lab.  MRSA was colonizing in the cut.

For each of my surgeries i washed with Hibiclens:  face, all body parts plus hair the morning before, the night before and the morning of.  Bed sheets, pillows were to be clean, fresh clean loose fitting clothes put on for hospital. no makeup, no nail color.  no makeup because makeup harbors bacteria.

it is a bit of overkill but they know some people out there who don't bathe every day and rarely change linens. brand or generic Hibiclens is available at the drugstore

Hibiclens Antimicrobial Antiseptic Soap and Skin Cleanser - 8 fl oz, 1 of 6

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline Exactly!!  Thank you!!  I was thinking the very same thing.  You need to be as clean as possible before/during surgery keeping the environment as sterile as possible.  Jeez,  I can't believe some of the responses.  

Regular Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

This may, in fact, be the last thing OP is worrying about prior to surgery. She didn't say her only concern was if she could keep her nail polish on!  I'm sure she has plenty of other worries higher up on her list, but wearing nail polish is a legitimate question.  

I don't get why some people feel the need to tell others what to worry about and what is silly!

I'd have the same question.  When I remove nail polish or nail wraps and don't replace it with at least a clear coat, my nail beds begin to hurt after an hour or two, and they'll continue to hurt until I put a coat of something on them.

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline 

Exactly. I had a co-worker who just had hip replacement surgery last week. We share an office, so he of course shared with me his pre-op instructions.  He had to go in either the day before or two days before just to be inspected from head to toe to make sure he had no nicks/cuts. Had to shower with a special soap the day before the surgery and the morning of. 

Bacteria is a real matter to be concerned with.  I can't remember the bedding requirements but there were some that his wife was handling.

To me I would rather be safe. Take the polish off before surgery, reapply after the surgery.

Honored Contributor

Every time I had surgery, I was prescribed an antibiotic body wash that I had to shower with beginning three days prior to my surgery.