Honored Contributor

Re: NOT allergic to penicillin meds after all!!

@gardenman wrote:

When it comes to Penicillin, I've been told there are two formulations to it. An old formulation that many of us older folks were told we were allergic to, and a new formulation that supposedly is less likely to provoke an allergic reaction. Many people who were told they were allergic to penicillin find they can now take it safely and with no reaction.

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be the preservative, coloring, or some other inactive ingredient in the old formulation was the cause of the allergic reaction. A skin test can determine if you're really allergic to it or not.

@gardenman

Good to know.  Thank you.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

When it comes to Penicillin, I've been told there are two formulations to it. An old formulation that many of us older folks were told we were allergic to, and a new formulation that supposedly is less likely to provoke an allergic reaction. Many people who were told they were allergic to penicillin find they can now take it safely and with no reaction.

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be the preservative, coloring, or some other inactive ingredient in the old formulation was the cause of the allergic reaction. A skin test can determine if you're really allergic to it or not.

@gardenman

Good to know.  Thank you.

Whenever I've told docs I'm allergic to penicillin, they've asked when the allergy happened, and then they'll say that was the old formulation, so I might not be allergic to it now. There's not much information online about this, but at least locally, docs all know about it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Is your UTI caused by E. Coli (over 80 some percent are)? If so, avoid the antibiotics and use D-Mannose capsules or powder mixed in liquid. D-Mannose is a sugar found in some fruits, including cranberry (and no cranberry juice or capsules will not work well enough). D-Mannose is like catnip for the little E. Coli buggies. During a UTI, the bugs sink their little "hooks" into your bladder, ureter and eventually kidney, walls. But when you take the D-Mannose, the bugs cannot resist it and they release your tissues, latch on to the D-Mannose and are carries right out of the body. I have not used an antibiotic for a urinary tract infection since 1998, and I got them less and less frequently as well. I give this to my cats now any time they get bladder infections, and it works a treat. Dosages are individual based on your own severity of infection. I used to take three to four capsules every four hours for three days, then two capsules every eight hours for the next seven days to make sure everything was eradicated. The painful urgency of UTI urination was noticeably improved by the second day every time. Do doctors know about this? I don't know. I had to research and find out about it on my own. I made sure the first two times I tried this that I went back to the doctor after the ten day course Andy had my urine retested, since UTIs can be dangerous if the bacteria is not eradicated completely. It was for me. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:

Is your UTI caused by E. Coli (over 80 some percent are)? If so, avoid the antibiotics and use D-Mannose capsules or powder mixed in liquid. D-Mannose is a sugar found in some fruits, including cranberry (and no cranberry juice or capsules will not work well enough). D-Mannose is like catnip for the little E. Coli buggies. During a UTI, the bugs sink their little "hooks" into your bladder, ureter and eventually kidney, walls. But when you take the D-Mannose, the bugs cannot resist it and they release your tissues, latch on to the D-Mannose and are carries right out of the body. I have not used an antibiotic for a urinary tract infection since 1998, and I got them less and less frequently as well. I give this to my cats now any time they get bladder infections, and it works a treat. Dosages are individual based on your own severity of infection. I used to take three to four capsules every four hours for three days, then two capsules every eight hours for the next seven days to make sure everything was eradicated. The painful urgency of UTI urination was noticeably improved by the second day every time. Do doctors know about this? I don't know. I had to research and find out about it on my own. I made sure the first two times I tried this that I went back to the doctor after the ten day course Andy had my urine retested, since UTIs can be dangerous if the bacteria is not eradicated completely. It was for me. Good luck!

@ThinkOutsidetheBox

I was talking to the doc when she was on her cell phone and it was obvious she was in a hurry.  She never said what kind of bacteria it was and I didn't ask.  I've never heard of D-Mannose, but you seem to know exactly what works for you, and that's excellent!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986