Trusted Contributor

Re: NOT SURE IF ANYONE HAS HEARD THIS BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately I don't get to keep much of my SS money which I worked more than enough quarters for before going into education . It is due to the WEP (windfall elimination program) that thinks a state pension is adequate to live on and taking social security would be " double dipping". So they keep 62% of my money...and I get the leftovers. The WEP needs to be abolished. It targets, teachers, police, and firefighters. So unfair.

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover   For years, there has been a push to get rid of the Windfall Elimination Program.  Professionals worked hard to add money into the system....yet, no return for their social security but your donated money goes to people who never worked.  The system is corrupt. Hopefully, this will get sorted out, but I've been told it might not be in our lifetime.

Honored Contributor

@Valstybaby wrote:

My Social Security went up 5.9% which wasn't much and then they changed my Medical Tier and I am paying double for my Medical insurance so I ended up losing money. So much for my increase - for me it's a joke! 

@Valstybaby 

Yikes.   I hope you then considered an Advantage plan for coverage.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is what my local news said and is food for thought.

Medicare is going up in price to cover the new prescription Alzheimer's drug that is super super expensive. I thought they said $7000 a year but this could be off. It doesn't have much efficacy either (doesn't work well or for everyone). 

So maybe we accept the price hike and want the expensive drugs or maybe we want Medicare to continue limiting drugs like this. I don't know but I thought this was very interesting news. If this is wrong, someone tell me. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've talked to many who have all kind of government payouts out of curiousity.

They know how to game the system.  It's not that hard.

We pay for it in taxes.

@Pantsonfire

Esteemed Contributor

@Duckncover 

It affects Federal employees the same way.

Most I know that had enough quarters for SS don't get a penny.

Trusted Contributor

Whatever you get from a state pension does reduce your SS check substantially if you worked enough quarters outside the of your state job to earn SS. This includes police, firefighters, public school teachers, and some others. I lose over 40% of my social security check every month. which is so unfair. I earned every dime and paid into it every month just like anyone else, but they are afraid I would be too rich since I get a teacher's pension check too. Do you any retired teachers ahi are rich and get too much money from their pension check? Absurd!  There is an attempt to repeal this provision but doubt it will ever go away.