Honored Contributor

NOT SURE IF ANYONE HAS HEARD THIS BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

MEDICARE just put out the new fee for medicare part B on Friday

fee is going from $148.50 to $170.10 per month for each person.

Reasoning is medicare said all SS people got a huge pay raise, they can easily afford to give medicare $22.00 or so more per month.

the other is medicare is trying to figure out a way to pay the $56,000.00 a year fee for alzheimer's patients new medicine that was just released the extra money ss people give towards the new medicare fee will also help medicare find money for all the alzheimer's patients put on this new medicine. 

just figured out with the new medicare fee minus it against SS pay raise, oh whoopy we got an $8.00 raise. that will pay for a gallon of gas for the car at the rate gas prices are raising.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NOT SURE IF ANYONE HAS HEARD THIS BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

@viva923  People should be contacting their senators and representatives in congress.  This is outrageous.  Luckily, my supplement is through my state plan and we were notified that our rates would not change this year--no telling what will happen next year.  I do believe that if enough people actually complain that the message will get through.  While some people have poor representation, when my spine surgery was cancelled by medicare, I contacted my senator and his office took care of everything.  I hope that you are represented by someone as good.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@viva923  People should be contacting their senators and representatives in congress.  This is outrageous.  Luckily, my supplement is through my state plan and we were notified that our rates would not change this year--no telling what will happen next year.  I do believe that if enough people actually complain that the message will get through.  While some people have poor representation, when my spine surgery was cancelled by medicare, I contacted my senator and his office took care of everything.  I hope that you are represented by someone as good.

I agree senators and representatives should be contacted.  Unfortunately, there is more to come.

Honored Contributor

I don't receive SS checks since I collect state pension instead which will not have an increase like SS will in 2022. I also pay for my Medicare at full cost since I never qualified for the benefit to begin with. My cost for Medicare will be going up hundreds of dollars per month which I will have to pay out of pocket. I would be thrilled to pay only $170 for it if I could.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee, I, too get a state pension.  But luckily, I worked at others jobs before the state job long enough to have 40 units to credit towards SS.  It's just enough with a few dollars left to pay for Medicare but it's not enough leftover to pay my supplemental insurance which goes up a lot yearly.  Six years ago my supplemental was $156.  Now it's about $375.  Every birthday, there is an increase.

When I see stories like yours, instead of having a pity party about it, I remember to be thankful.   It's really not fair that anybody should have to paying so much for insurance when the big wheels pay nothing, saving money for their kids, grand and great grandkids.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@viva923    I was already paying the first 148, so when I do my figuring for the upcoming year, I use the increase rather than the full amount, but, yes, even with a hefty SS raise without even counting food and gas, we seniors are unlikely to be ahead of where we were.

Honored Contributor

I braced myself for the increase when I heard SS was going up about 6%.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I braced myself for the increase when I heard SS was going up about 6%.

That was my reasoning also.

Valued Contributor

YIKES........

Honored Contributor

I"ve heard military pensions can be supplemented by social security.  Too bad state pensions can't.  What a rip.