Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2015!!!

The Colts are taking a big chance in not extending Pagano. If he does take them to the Super Bowl and wins it, then what? There are a lot of teams with lots of money that could use a really good coach. The Colts could find the price to resign him then too high and the competition too intense and losing your head coach after winning the Super Bowl is not the ideal way to start a new season. There's no franchise tag for coaches, so there's no safety net for the Colts.

With the free agent additions they've made, the Colts are likely to be among the elite in the AFC. The Patriots won't be as good with their secondary replacing their starting corners. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Broncos miss the playoffs completely. You can make a pretty good argument that the Colts are as good as or better than anyone in the AFC right now. If Pagano sells his services to the highest bidder after this year, then the Colts could be in big trouble. He could easily become the highest paid head coach in the NFL if a bidding war erupted over him. Let's say the Cowboys implode this year and Jerry Jones needs a new head coach. Would he go after the Super Bowl winning head coach? I'm betting he would and if he wouldn't, someone else would. There's no salary cap on coaches, so teams with lots of cash can make any offer they want and dare the Colts to match it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I'm finding the Marcus Mariota nonsense quite funny these days. Pretty much every team in the league is now rumored to be looking to draft him, or trade up to get him. They've got the poor kid flying all over the place for meetings and workouts. I don't buy any of it. I just don't see him being a good fit for 90+% of the teams that are now expressing interest in him. He's a great kid and a great leader, but his arm isn't special, he's not a prototypical pro style QB and his success has been in a unique (not your typical NFL) system.

He'll need a year or two (at least) to adapt to most NFL offenses. Given the number of "sure thing" and "can't miss" prospects in the draft, I don't see any team in the top ten taking the chance on Mariota. I'm thinking what we're seeing now is a massive smoke screen being put up to make teams think other teams are interested in Mariota so they won't know who the teams are really targeting.

Marcus Mariota is a great fit for some teams (Philly, Seattle, maybe Washington depending on what they do on offense, and a few others) but he's not a good fit for most of the rest of the league. I'm still betting he'll drop quite a bit in the draft. A lot of what we're seeing now is smoke and mirrors to try and fool the rest of the league, but despite Mariota being a great kid/person, and a winning college quarterback, he's got way, way too many flaws/holes to drop into a typical NFL offense in the near future. Two or three years from now he might be worth the second overall pick in the draft if he's learned how to play in the NFL, but right now, I'm betting most teams in the top ten have more pressing needs.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And the Eagles have concluded March by signing former Cowboy/Browns wide receiver Miles Austin to a one year contract. He's more of a depth signing for the Eagles than a big signing, but chances are he'll be given a good shot at a starting job. Pro Football Focus had him pegged as the 42nd best wide receiver in the league at the end of last season. He ended up missing the last few games with a lacerated kidney, but at least it wasn't a hamstring issue. He seems confident that his bad hamstrings are now behind him and hopefully he's right.

The Eagles also extended DeMeco Ryans for another year. Things are getting a tad crowded at that inside linebacker position with DeMeco, Mychal Kendricks, Kiko Alonso, Brad Jones, Najee Goode, and Emmanuel Acho all now on the roster. So, we've got six guys to play two positions? (Six plus actually as Bryan Braman a special teams player is also officially an inside linebacker.) Mychal Kendricks may be on the trading block if you can believe the rumors. He's a pro bowl caliber player, but isn't an ideal scheme fit for Chip. I wouldn't be shocked to see him moved on draft day, or possibly later to try and get back the second round pick we gave up for Bradford in next year's draft.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!