Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2014!!!

Lots of excitement in Buffalo over who will buy the team.

There is a Bon Jovi boycott on some radio stations, since he is working with a group that would move the team to T.O.

I hope the owner of the Sabres, Terry Pegula, gets the Bills too. He just sold 2 billion dollars worth of fracking land in PA to have ready cash available. He is also building a huge sports/entertainment complex downtown...thanks partly to him, cranes are up all around Canalside (where David Venable did his remote a few weeks ago).

Honored Contributor

Hey Yellowrose---Since you cheered for my Spurs I thought I'd share this poster from our local paper here---{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

With the NBA season over and the Spurs’ fifth NBA title in hands, here’s a look at the some of t

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

And now we enter the early summer football doldrums. Nothing much happens now for a month. Coaches and players tend to take a vacation now before training camp and any news that breaks is typically bad news, so no news is often the best you can hope for in this period. Rosters are pretty much set now heading into training camp. Players have been through the OTA's and mini-camp. There may be a free agent or two who get signed over the next month to fill roster vacancies, but not many.

The Eagles have a pretty mature roster these days so hopefully none of our players do anything too stupid during the break. Johnny Manziel can be counted on to do something to give us all something to talk about and make the Browns question the wisdom of drafting the kid. Each weekend is an adventure with Manziel. Last week he was using a stack of money as a pretend phone. Now after signing his contract this month he has his own money and God only knows what he'll do. I'm guessing staying home and studying the playbook isn't in his plans.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

1980's superbowl marathon on NFL today.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Good way to spend a rainy muggy day.

Up right now....Denver VS Wash. Elway just threw a bomb to score.

GOOO Bronocs

just googled, guess I won't watch this game afterall.

Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 yellowrose said:

so sad to hear of the passing of Coach Noll. So many good memories. Up in Heaven talking football with Bum Phillips now. RIP Coaches.

I agree yellow rose...Chuck Noll was a great coach and I liiked Bum too!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 6/22/2014 yellowrose said:

1980's superbowl marathon on NFL today.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Good way to spend a rainy muggy day.

Up right now....Denver VS Wash. Elway just threw a bomb to score.

GOOO Bronocs

just googled, guess I won't watch this game afterall.

{#emotions_dlg.lol}.......nice try yellow rose....Wink

HTTR! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I like watching old games even when I know who wins, but I mostly stick to the Eagle games I saved on my computer. There are usually one or two plays a game that are turning points and when you know the ultimate outcome those turning points are pretty easy to see.

I just watched the Eagles playoff game against the Saints the other day and it was Darren Sproles' kickoff return after the Eagles had taken the lead in the fourth quarter that was clearly the turning point in that game. Our gunner (Colt Anderson) ducked inside to try and cut Sproles off and get a big hit on him as every Sproles' return prior to that had been right up the middle. This time Sproles broke outside and get a big return putting the Saints in nearly ideal field position. Had Colt maintained his position and played it straight, the ball would have likely been kept at, or inside the Saints 20. Instead his attempt to make a big play gave the Saints the big play they needed and we lost the game.

In nearly every game you can find that one play that broke the other team's back and determined the winner. This is a good month to watch all of last season's games as nothing much will happen now until training camps open up so if you want to see/hear anything football related, you've pretty much got to watch last year's stuff.

Either Johnny "Football" Manziel was quiet this weekend or no one involved has sobered up enough to post photos yet. Here we are on a Monday morning and there are no new photos of him partying, that's odd. I wonder if he's okay? That's not like him.

Did anyone see where Mike Vick now claims to have been the original running quarterback? Well, sure if you ignore Fran Tarkenton, Roger "the dodger" Staubach, Joe Thiesmann, and many, many others, then Vick was the first. Even McNabb came into the league before Vick. Vick was probably more like the fiftieth running quarterback to come into the league, but he did have legs/speed that were superior to many of the others. Vick's got to spend some time in the NFL films archives watching footage of Randall Cunningham, Fran Tarkenton, and others. He didn't invent the running quarterback position. He's just one of many.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I Read that claim from Vick and I just laughed but since I didn't hear him say it I have to wonder if part of his comment was left out. Not that I would ever defend Vick, but it's odd that he would really think that he's the original running qb.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, you would think having been an Eagle that Vick would have noticed the Randall Cunningham highlights all over the place. Randall was an amazing running quarterback. I'm old enough to remember seeing Fran Tarkenton play and he was darn near uncatchable. We had a guy from my hometown named Bobby Gallagher who way, way back in 1968 or so played quarterback for our local high school team who was a scrambling madman. He'd give up forty yards running around to avoid a sack and then throw a fifty yard pass for a first down. He went on to try out for the Jets I believe sometime in the early seventies. I don't think he ever made their active roster, but he got a shot.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 6/15/2014 teganslaw said:

The Colts signed S Mike Adams. He's replacing Corey Lynch, who was placed on IR. Good signing: Adams is a veteran and can help the Colts defense. Adams had a record number of sacks for Denver.

Kansas City released Brandon Flowers because of salary cap issues. It probably won't be long before he finds another team. I'm sure there are several who are interested in him. It would have to be a team who has enough money to pay him, though.

hey Tegan....did you see your Coach on Mike and Mike --- he was promoting his book. He said the Colts should improve with players coming back from injury especially Reggie Wayne....and he said one of their primary goals would be to keep Andrew standing up....

He was asked about Irsay and said that Irsay was very supportive and great encouragement during his cancer treatments, but with Irsay not around and getting help the organization is still running smoothly...