Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for June 2014!!!

And Manziel mania is now spreading to the baseball world. Johnny Manziel (who was last seen drinking from a bottle of champagne while lying on an inflatable swan) was drafted by the San Diego Padres as a shortstop. Ignoring the fact that he hasn't played baseball since high school and might have a few character issues (Is he ever photographed in public without a drink in hand?) the Padres wasted a draft pick on him in a PR stunt. You just know there's some kid out there who would kill to be drafted and given a shot who got passed over for a Manziel PR stunt.

The Cowboys are continuing to display why they're a tick dysfunctional. They can't seem to pick a story and stick to it regarding their interest in Johnny Manziel. They either never considered drafting him and love Tony Romo, or thought long and hard about it and envisioned Manziel as their quarterback of the future, depending on which day you're listening to them. They'd be a tad more credible if they'd just pick one story and stick to it.

The Eagles continue their OTA's tomorrow and the press is allowed their weekly viewing of practice tomorrow, so we're likely to hear more about the team then. There's lots of optimism coming out of the Eagle's camp so far. The players, coaches, and even the media all seem happy. It's almost scary to have a positive press corps reporting on the Eagles and distributing positive news. If they keep this up they may just lose the "Negadelphia" nickname they've earned. (I suspect the first loss will bring back the negativity.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2014!!!

Well the Redskins said Gruden is keeping some of the same plays in particular the running game packages, but new stuff was added for the passing game. The players liked the fact that most of the position coaches remained the same too, which is making the transition easier.

So what do NFL fans think of rotating NFL draft---

The NFL met Friday to go over potential sites. New York, Chicago, and LA and other cities under consideration include Dallas, Houston, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Boston. Each city has been asked to provide as much information as it can to the NFL by the middle of June, with the NFL hoping to make a decision by the end of the month.

BTW I think all those fans, players, and teams at Super Bowl XLI in Miami should SUE Miami and the NFL for the RAIN that occurred during that Super Bowl......after all it was not IDEAL conditions.....And also at the Superdome and 49ers/Steelers games....Why should a fine even be mentioned for the Spurs over an A/C breakdown---SHEESH! The VP Of Basketball Operations was there and chose to continue the game!THE HEAT APPLIED TO BOTH TEAMS!!!

And the Arizona Cardinals had this to say-

During Game 1 of the NBA Finals between the San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat at the AT&T Center in San Antonio the air conditioning broke. Temperatures inside the arena rose to the mid-90s.

According to the Arizona Cardinals, 90 degrees Fahrenheit is nothing. The team regularly practices in temperatures of over 110 degrees.

According to the Cardinals official twitter account, the team invited both the Spurs and Heat to train with them in 110.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I like the draft moving around. I think it's a smart move for the NFL. Cities will compete to host it and local news will go nuts over the draft coming, stirring up even more publicity. Radio City has been playing games with the NFL lately, so the NFL should explore other options.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And the Eagles signed the last of their draft picks yesterday, so everyone is signed, sealed and ready to go for the mini-camp next week then training camp in late July. Reports from the OTA's are still all very positive with even the ever skeptical Philly press finding little to complain about. (Yesterday they focused on Nick Foles' poor sliding technique at the end of a run, so that gives you some idea of how good things are going.) Reports indicate that the already frenetic pace from last year has increased even more with plays being run as fast as every ten seconds. A few of the vets who have played on other teams say that the Eagles run fifty plays in the time it took their old team to run twenty. Those extra reps shoudl have the team ready to go early in the season.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Got my NFL channel back, so I'm ready early. Now I don't know why they changed the hockey playoffs over to NBCSN (or whatever it's called) but it's a channel I didn't have and I was fuming. Gave Dish a call before faceoff and they agreed to up my package that includes the sports channels for 6 months NO charge.....so I said, for a long time customer could you make it for 8 months, and after a few rounds, they agreed. So I'm good for the entire football season. Happy Me{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Even better deal than I made last year.

So not many people expect the Cowboys to have a successful season or even our usual mediocre season. Lots of comments, jokes, and putdowns about my team. Definitely have to learn to let some things go in one ear and out the other when you're a Cowboy fan, especially when we bring a lot of it on ourselves, but forget what I said about digging a hole and burying my head in it this season. I'm a true blue Cowboy fan and soooo looking forward to that first kick off. I'm also excited to see what the Texans bring this year. A quarterback would be a nice start.

Happy and safe June everyone

Honored Contributor

Yellowrose. You never know what will happen in the NFL. Teams picked to finish first end up crashing and burning while teams no one thinks have a chance rise up and surprise everyone. That's why they play the games. On paper the Cowboys don't look all that impressive, but they don't play the games on paper.

The Texans will be interesting to watch. One thing's for sure they'll have one of the best defensive lines in the league.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Houston is going to be one team to watch in the AFC South. I think they are going to be more competitive this season. The Colts have won most of the games against the Texans, but many of those games were close. Houston managed to lose games by committing too many penalties or giving the ball away or other such mistake.If they can avoid doing that, watch out!

Some Indy fans also think Jacksonville is a team to watch. I don't know how they'll do this season, but the Jaguars are slowly rebuilding, and could give other teams some problems. Even when the Jaguars had a losing season, they somehow managed to play competitively against the Colts. Should be an interesting season.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

Yep gardenman, I'm very excited to see this Texan defense. Just hope the injury bug doesn't bite them.

Houston always seems to shoot themselves in the foot when they play the Colts, tegan. Letting games slip away when victory is in your hand just drives me batty.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, injuries are the big scary monster in the NFL. They can take a Super Bowl contender and make them into a competitor for the first pick in the draft. You need a lot of depth on a team and a system that's easy enough for a new player to fit into without going too insane. If you lose two guys at one position you're generally pretty much dead.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Bad news for the Giants. Jon Beason their starting middle linebacker injured his foot in practice today and had to be carted off. No word on the extent of the injury but it has that Lisfranc sound to it and those injuries tend to be a pain. If it is a Lisfranc injury then he's likely out for anywhere from two months to the whole season. It's not a good start for the Giants defense. They've lost two DB's to drug suspensions and now Beason went down.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!