Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2014!!!

On 6/23/2014 gardenman said:

I like watching old games even when I know who wins, but I mostly stick to the Eagle games I saved on my computer. There are usually one or two plays a game that are turning points and when you know the ultimate outcome those turning points are pretty easy to see.

I just watched the Eagles playoff game against the Saints the other day and it was Darren Sproles' kickoff return after the Eagles had taken the lead in the fourth quarter that was clearly the turning point in that game. Our gunner (Colt Anderson) ducked inside to try and cut Sproles off and get a big hit on him as every Sproles' return prior to that had been right up the middle. This time Sproles broke outside and get a big return putting the Saints in nearly ideal field position. Had Colt maintained his position and played it straight, the ball would have likely been kept at, or inside the Saints 20. Instead his attempt to make a big play gave the Saints the big play they needed and we lost the game.

In nearly every game you can find that one play that broke the other team's back and determined the winner. This is a good month to watch all of last season's games as nothing much will happen now until training camps open up so if you want to see/hear anything football related, you've pretty much got to watch last year's stuff.

Either Johnny "Football" Manziel was quiet this weekend or no one involved has sobered up enough to post photos yet. Here we are on a Monday morning and there are no new photos of him partying, that's odd. I wonder if he's okay? That's not like him.

Did anyone see where Mike Vick now claims to have been the original running quarterback? Well, sure if you ignore Fran Tarkenton, Roger "the dodger" Staubach, Joe Thiesmann, and many, many others, then Vick was the first. Even McNabb came into the league before Vick. Vick was probably more like the fiftieth running quarterback to come into the league, but he did have legs/speed that were superior to many of the others. Vick's got to spend some time in the NFL films archives watching footage of Randall Cunningham, Fran Tarkenton, and others. He didn't invent the running quarterback position. He's just one of many.

Well GARDENMAN, don't lose heart about Johnny Manziel there's the 4th of July coming up and maybe he will "honor America" by partying hardy....or maybe he's waiting for the next World Cup Match game between the USA vs Germany .... Wink

As for Michael Vick---never was a fan---when I read that I also thought of Fran "the scrambler" Tarkenton and even your Randall Cunningham too....Vick was definitely NOT "the first"{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} He was over-hyped by the media when he came into the league more of a runner and not much of a pocket passer....hmmm.....that sounds a bit familiar....where have I heard that recent comparison about a certain QB wearing burgundy and gold{#emotions_dlg.laugh} But the others you mentioned not only ran but were also better skilled BOTH in the pocket and on the run than Vick! ...I think Vick needs a trip to the NFL Films Studio..{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

And we've now heard from the first former Eagle who wasn't happy with Chip Kelly and surprisingly enough, it's Jason Avant. Avant was always a good team-first guy, so it's kind of atypical for him to be speaking out. Apparently Chip and Jason butted heads a bit over Avant's tendency to freelance on routes to try and get open. Chip designs his routes so a guy will be open someplace and the other receivers will be in position to block/contribute and Chip apparently wasn't happy that Avant wasn't always where he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be there.

Avant was trying his typical, "I'm covered and this guy is sitting on me, so I'll cut back and see if I can get open so the quarterback has a place to throw the ball" routine and that cutting back to get open would leave the guy who was covering Avant free to make a play on the guy who was open and limit a big gain. Cutting Avant was almost more of a surprise than cutting DeSean Jackson to me, but hearing this makes it all make more sense. Chip wants a fast paced, read and react offense which requires receivers to run precise routes and be in the right place at the right time. Avant was apparently more interested in schoolyard type football where you fought to get open rather than serve as a decoy/blocker if you were covered.

Avant should fit in nicely in Carolina as Cam Newton is a guy who likes to see a receiver open before he throws the ball. Avant can almost always get himself open but in Philly, getting himself open would defeat the scheme of the offense so he's gone. He should be a good fit in Carolina though.

Quarterbacks love the guys who fight to get open, but Chip Kelly's scheme is designed to always get one guy open and all the quarterback has to do is get him the ball and then everyone else should be in position to support the guy with the ball. Receivers running across the field who stop, let that defender stop and while that receiver pops open, the quarterback has likely already delivered the ball to someone else and that defender who should have been following the receiver away from the play is now in position to make the tackle.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

On 6/25/2014 gardenman said:

And we've now heard from the first former Eagle who wasn't happy with Chip Kelly and surprisingly enough, it's Jason Avant. Avant was always a good team-first guy, so it's kind of atypical for him to be speaking out. Apparently Chip and Jason butted heads a bit over Avant's tendency to freelance on routes to try and get open. Chip designs his routes so a guy will be open someplace and the other receivers will be in position to block/contribute and Chip apparently wasn't happy that Avant wasn't always where he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be there.

Avant was trying his typical, "I'm covered and this guy is sitting on me, so I'll cut back and see if I can get open so the quarterback has a place to throw the ball" routine and that cutting back to get open would leave the guy who was covering Avant free to make a play on the guy who was open and limit a big gain. Cutting Avant was almost more of a surprise than cutting DeSean Jackson to me, but hearing this makes it all make more sense. Chip wants a fast paced, read and react offense which requires receivers to run precise routes and be in the right place at the right time. Avant was apparently more interested in schoolyard type football where you fought to get open rather than serve as a decoy/blocker if you were covered.

Avant should fit in nicely in Carolina as Cam Newton is a guy who likes to see a receiver open before he throws the ball. Avant can almost always get himself open but in Philly, getting himself open would defeat the scheme of the offense so he's gone. He should be a good fit in Carolina though.

Quarterbacks love the guys who fight to get open, but Chip Kelly's scheme is designed to always get one guy open and all the quarterback has to do is get him the ball and then everyone else should be in position to support the guy with the ball. Receivers running across the field who stop, let that defender stop and while that receiver pops open, the quarterback has likely already delivered the ball to someone else and that defender who should have been following the receiver away from the play is now in position to make the tackle.

GARDENMAN,

Interesting info about Avant. Now I think the Eagles will have a successful year, but if they start losing, then I think you will hear more of the players on offensive speak out against Chip's system and asking for more ability to free lance in order to be more successful and make plays. ....

Here's a question for EVERYONE-

Who's the best player on your team---

For my Redskins, with new coach, new schemes on offense and defense I need to see our new look, but based on last year I will go with RB ALFRED MORRIS for my Redskins!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

For best player on the Eagles it's hard to pick against LeSean McCoy, but Jason Peters is pretty darn impressive too. DeMeco Ryans would be right up there on the defensive side too. We've got some young up and comers who should get mentioned too in Mychal Kendricks, Fletcher Cox, Nick Foles, Zach Ertz, and Jason Kelce. If I had to pick the best right now, I'd probably go with LeSean McCoy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The best player with the Colts? I'd have to go with one of their veterans: it's a toss -up between Robert Mathis and Reggie Wayne. However, if I had to pick just one-based on last season-I'd have to go with Robert Mathis. There is no evidence that he used the drug (the reason he was suspended four games) for anything other than fertility reasons. That doesn't excuse him, as he should have known the rules, but I can't see where it was used to help him on the field. He set a franchise record in tackles, and that can't be overlooked.

Reggie Wayne comes in a close second because I have yet to see how his injury will affect his playing this coming season.

Then there are other talented players: Andrew Luck, Adam Vinatieri, T.Y. Hilton. Dwayne Allen, etc. The younger ones definitely have a great future ahead of them.

SPURT, I hadn't heard much about Pagano's new book. Shows that I've been out of things for awhile. I definitely need to get caught up.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

SPURT. I think if the players were inclined to rebel against Chip Kelly they would have done so early last season when the Eagles got off to a bad start. They were 1-3 four weeks into the season coming off a 52-20 drubbing by the Broncos. That could have been the tipping point, but the team stayed together and rallied. I'm pretty sure the team chemistry will be even better this year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!