Honored Contributor

NEED FEEDBACK ON FASTING BEFORE BLOOD DRAW

Tomorrow I have an 11:30am appt for blood work, and the order says fast for the 12 hours before.  Just water.

I can't sleep on an empty stomach and was planning to have a small bottle of protein shake tonight at 11pm.

Will this throw off the results of my results?  Or is fasting for 12 hours beforehand the same, regardless of what I ate 13 hours ago?

Honored Contributor

Re: NEED FEEDBACK ON FASTING BEFORE BLOOD DRAW

@Tinkrbl44   Won't you eat dinner in the evening?  Your stomach will not be empty until morning.

I always make appointments for tests requiring fasting for as early as possible then go enjoy a nice breakfast.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44. In my experience a 12 hour fast is just that.  Nothing to eat or drink 12 hours prior to the test, with the exception of water.  You can eat up until that point.  I wouldn't chance a protein shake within your fasting period.  Depending on why a 12 hr fast is needed, your shake very well could alter some results.  Drinking water prior to your lab draw will make your veins easier to draw from.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I have always eaten anything I want prior to the beginning of the 12 hour fast. A steak dinner at Ruth's Chris at 11:00 pm would be fine provided you finished eating prior to 11:30. 

Honored Contributor

I would drink that a couple hours before you go to bed like 9 pm instead of 11 so you should be ok on 12 hrs no food. I thought it took 4 hours to digest food. Your protein shake would digest sooner.

Respected Contributor

Why did you schedule the test so late in the morning?  When I get blood drawn I usually schedule it no later than 8:00 a.m.

Honored Contributor

Isn't the 11 pm protein shake outside of the 12 hour fast period for an 11:30 am blood draw?  I see nothing wrong with that.

Honored Contributor

Hydration is essential for a blood draw, drink lots of water for a few hours before the test.  I would think the shake is Ok if you have it at least 12 hours prior to the blood draw. 

Esteemed Contributor

@On It   well depending on what the doctor is looking to find from your blood work, I would think a steak would certainly cause a spike in your lipid panel.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44    A protein shake will definitely not be desirable if it's not taken before the 12 hour fast