Respected Contributor

Re: NEED FEEDBACK ON FASTING BEFORE BLOOD DRAW

[ Edited ]

I was joking hckynutjohn. I meant why prolong a procedure that most people find uncomfortable. You are lucky that you don't have breasts that are mashed each year for a mammogram.😭

Honored Contributor

Why are you having a hard time with this?  It's easy.  You can only have water 13 hours before your blood work.  That means no food after 11:30pm.  Of course you can have your protein shake or something to eat at 11pm.  

Honored Contributor

OP, trust me you can do it. Just follow the orders and you will be fine. Your body doesn't know if you're stomach is empty when you are asleep. It's all in your head. A simple blood test is just that...simple. Try not to make a big deal of it. Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

What is so agonizing about a blood draw?

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

What is so agonizing about a blood draw?

I'm not getting what the issue is?  It's just a blood draw. 

Honored Contributor

My years of experience with doing blood draws has lead me to believe that there are patients who find blood collection an unpleasant and maybe frightening experience. Others find it a pita while some people don't have anything negative to say about it.  When it comes to describing how you feel about having your blood collected, there isn't a OSFA. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My years of experience with doing blood draws has lead me to believe that there are patients who find blood collection an unpleasant and maybe frightening experience. Others find it a pita while some people don't have anything negative to say about it.  When it comes to describing how you feel about having your blood collected, there isn't a OSFA. 

Yes and people can also be phobic when it comes to needles. I once taught a patient how to inject insulin where it took hours. Many in fact are phobic. Even after 53 years of injecting insulin as much as 5 times a day, I still kind of cringe doing it.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 

There are also people who become squeamish at the sight of blood.  They cannot see blood without fainting.  This makes it difficult to collect blood.

Respected Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

@Tinkrbl44. In my experience a 12 hour fast is just that.  Nothing to eat or drink 12 hours prior to the test, with the exception of water.  You can eat up until that point.  I wouldn't chance a protein shake within your fasting period.  Depending on why a 12 hr fast is needed, your shake very well could alter some results.  Drinking water prior to your lab draw will make your veins easier to draw from.  Good luck.

YOu can drink coffee as long as you dont put cream or sugar in it, or you can drink all the water you want.

Honored Contributor

I had to do one of those fasts years ago.  I had two (peeled) hard boiled eggs and a container of yogurt in my tote - to eat immediately afterwards.