Honored Contributor

Re: NEED FEEDBACK ON FASTING BEFORE BLOOD DRAW

@lgfan wrote:

Why did you schedule the test so late in the morning?  When I get blood drawn I usually schedule it no later than 8:00 a.m.

@lgfan 

Well, since I usually wake up around 9 or 9:30am, I wanted to avoid setting an alarm clock to go earlier. 

It's bad enough to go get blood drawn, but to preface that with a jarring alarm going off, waking me out of a sound sleep  ... well, no thanks.

Honored Contributor

@lgfan wrote:

Why did you schedule the test so late in the morning?  When I get blood drawn I usually schedule it no later than 8:00 a.m.

I'm sure whe didn't schedule it, a scheduler or her doctor's office did. Health care around here is very understaffed and you have to take what you can get. My last fasting lab work was scheduled at 11:30.

Super Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 You didn't say what blood tests- if it is the usual like CBC, Completer Metabolic Panel, Lipid Profile you only need to fast for 8 hours, except for water and you can drink as much of that as you want- fasting for 12 hours will not give you different lab results than fasting for 8 hours- your evening meal should be diet friendly- in other words you don't need to kill yourself to have your blood drawn- Iam not aware of any blood tests that require 12 hours fasting

Respected Contributor

@RetRN 

"@lgfan wrote:

I'm sure whe didn't schedule it, a scheduler or her doctor's office did. Health care around here is very understaffed and you have to take what you can get. My last fasting lab work was scheduled at 11:30."

The lab facility that I go to everyone schedules their own appointments via website.  I have never heard of a doctor's office scheduling the appointment.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

"@lgfan wrote:

@lgfan 

Well, since I usually wake up around 9 or 9:30am, I wanted to avoid setting an alarm clock to go earlier. 

It's bad enough to go get blood drawn, but to preface that with a jarring alarm going off, waking me out of a sound sleep  ... well, no thanks."

I like to get it over with as soon as possible.  Why prolong the agony.

Honored Contributor

I would eat and drink until 11:30 pm. Not alcohol of course, but if I wanted a sandwich at 11pm, I would eat it and still be following their orders.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Quotes from drs. I have heard about test I've had:

Just don't eat a big sandwich right before you go to bed.

It's not what you ate yesterday, it's what you've been eating for months that shows up. 

This is true, especially if someone is having an A1C test done. If someone doesn't know, that checks your blood glucose level over the last 3 month time period.

I'm just making this comment in general, but I personally think that it is better to not have any heavy meals the day before someone has their blood test, or to drink lots of soda either, for example. 

I've personally had my test results be "off" for example when I've been a bit dehydrated--when I haven't had enough water. It can throw off your electrolytes and your kidney results, if you're being tested for those levels.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

Short answer! Had tons of blood draws and my view? Depends on what blood panels are being done, and for what reason. 

"Can't sleep on an empty stomach"?  Never heard that one before. Back in my Road Racing days, I always heard "can't run on an empty stomach". For me? I made sure my stomach was empty along with much of my Gastrointestinal Tract. The cleaner the better.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@lgfan @Tinkrbl44 

"Agony"?  Sure hope you never have to shoot yourself with Lovenox twice a day.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Tomorrow I have an 11:30am appt for blood work, and the order says fast for the 12 hours before.  Just water.

I can't sleep on an empty stomach and was planning to have a small bottle of protein shake tonight at 11pm.

Will this throw off the results of my results?  Or is fasting for 12 hours beforehand the same, regardless of what I ate 13 hours ago?

I'll share with you what I do and what I have found works the best for me, over the years.

I'll have a regular dinner the night before the test--nothing heavy with too many carbs--and I may eat it a bit later if I'm having my tests later in the morning like you are.

Sometimes you aren't able to go for an early lab appt. the next morning because you may have another appt. at the earlier time of the day, etc.

So anyway, I may eat dinner a bit later that evening before the test, like anywhere around 7:30-8:30 p.m. 

I don't drink coffee or tea but I like diet soda.

If I do have any soda the day before it will be caffeine-free like 7-Up or Sprite and I limit what I drink.

I'll try and drink as much water as possible the day before the test to make it easier to have my blood drawn the next day.

If I'm still awake and hungry and it's around 11 p.m., I may have a snack of some kind, like a pudding cup or something like that--nothing too heavy.