Respected Contributor

Re: NCI Clinical Trials in Rural Areas

[ Edited ]

A few bright spots appear on the search for and development of  more physicians and better treatment. for people who need it and can't find it.   

Hopefully, more wealthy philanthropists like Ken Langone (co-founder of Home Depot)  will step up and start a movement.

Few young people can sign up for medical school these days when faced with the daunting student debt load that would be required.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2018/08/16/nyu-makes-medical-school-tuition-free/#6243030ea9...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

And by the way, the only way you can get into a clinical trial with the National Cancer Institute is to have a rare or at least very specific form of the

disease that they happen to be studying on the limited budget granted by Congress.

You don't necessarily live through the experiment..

NCI did not save a friend's sister from a fast-moving cancer.  Plus..............

Married to someone retired from helping NCI doctors to program and run the big-data  analysis software for  clinical trials and who is  working the same job voluntarily with NO PAY---to his wife's annoyance and  dismay!!  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

I can't think I'd want to necessarily be given a drug that is only be used on a trial basis. Besides some people who think they are being given the medicine are actually being given a placebo.

Respected Contributor

@151949

In  most cases, I believe, the subjects/patients admitted to participate in this type of program  are in a "last resort" state of health. 

They will probably die with or without the experimental treatment, but perhaps some of them have a chance that it might prolong life, if not save it.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 When companies do clinical trials they are looking for the best possible outcomes because they want to sell the drug they have put a fortune into developing. They certainly don't want the patient you describe. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949Those drug companies are not the National Cancer Institute (part of the National Institutes of Health, a federal research agency funded with your tax dollars)

The OP showed an NCI graphic in the original post.  If you wish to discuss drug trials by pharma companies, that might be a separate subject.

Results of drug trials by pharmaceutical companies are reviewed by a separate federal regulatory agency--the Food and Drug Adminsitration.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949  I was under the impression that you never pay a penny when you are in a clinical study.  My DH and also my dad and my mom were in clinical studies and never paid a cent.  You  just have to report any and all effects or noneffects depending on the trial.

Are you sure it was a clinical trial that you were in?   

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are grants given to pay for clinical trials - often whether or not you pay is dependant on your financials. They don't get unlimited funds to hold these trials - they have to stay within a budget. So they aren't going to give away for free to people who have the ability to pay.