Honored Contributor

NCI Clinical Trials in Rural Areas

In case there is anyone hoping for a clinical trial, here is a list of states.  

Honored Contributor

Re: NCI Clinical Trials in Rural Areas

I don’t understand...why the rural focus?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom

My guess is that they lack access to treatment options that are common in more populated areas.

Honored Contributor

My friend participated in a clinical trial for knee injections for arthritis.  It didn't help her.  I guess she got the placebo instead of the actual drug.  I don't remember anything except that it didn't work.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Starting clinical trials of what? A new drug? many new drugs? A new reatment modiality? ?????

Honored Contributor

@NickNack I got those injections - had to pay a lot out of pocket too , and they didn't work.

Valued Contributor

@151949, probably all that you mentioned, depending on the diagnosis..poor WV, my home state..guess they think they can travel..not sure why they weren’t included in the rural stats.

I recently read on a website that NCI increased their budget to help patients & families that had to travel there..

Honored Contributor

There are 2 people that I know, 1 of which is my older sister, that have had knee injections. I can't think of the name right now, but it involved an injection into the knee, for 3 consecutive weeks. My sister said it has helped her immensely, especially taking care of her horses. She is 84.

The other lady is a friend I met ice skating, and she is 80 years old. I recommended my Sports Med Ortho Doctor friend to her, after she told me she needs her knee replaced.  These injections have also helped her a lot, and she had them 3 months ago. Told me for some they last up to 8 months.

She still will need her knee replaced, but this procedure has allowed her to ice skate pain free now, and also to pick the right time to have her knee replaced.  Wish I could recall what this is called, sorry. Maybe someone here has had this treatment, and it worked for them, or maybe not. I realize these things are not successful with all patients.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Not exactly. Read NCORP's site.

This project is aimed at serving minorities and rural residents who are typically underserved.

Here in MI their sites are Royal Oak (Detroit suburb), Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor. None of which are rural. If you are rural, you have to travel.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono

I recently saw a map of the MANY counties in Georgia where not one doctor exists, never mind a doctor trained in oncology.

This isn't the story I just read this week, but it gives enough info on the problem.

http://www.georgiahealthnews.com/2014/01/doctor-shortage-acute-rural-areas/