Respected Contributor

Re: My year isn't off to a good start

sorry to here about your accident. wishing you well and sending prayers to you for a speedy recovery. good luck.

Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Helpful Hannah

Oh, you poor thing.  I don't even want to imagine all that at once.  You sound very brave, in spite of everything.

All the best for a quick and speedy recovery, and for getting back to being as "good as new"!

Image result for humorous knee surgery greeting card

LOL and thanks! that made me laugh and feel a lot better.

Honored Contributor

Well it can only get better.  Hope you feel better soon.  Take care.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

@Kachina624 wrote:

You must have had a bad fall.  That happened to me at work years ago; I was off 6 weeks and you're right, it was extremely painful.  I still have problems with that knee and will eventually have knee replacement surgery.

As for the cataract surgery....the only post surgical inconvenience will be to apply drops to the eye a couple times a day.  It shouldn't have any affect on the knee except for having to get back to the doctor's office for checks.  You might ask about a wheelchair; I absolutely couldn't use crutches.  Have you seen an orthopedist?

...I don't think drops are used any more post surgery...Dh had 1st eye done earlier this week....the drops were applied before and after surgery, no drops applied at home after the surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

Helpful Hannah I am so sorry to hear this.  I was looking forward to reading about your successful cataract surgery and how beautiful the world looks to you without the fog in the way.  You definitely need to have the knee taken care of and I wish you a speedy recovery.  I hate the thought of your pain, living with it myself I can feel for you.  Please let us know how you are doing down the road.  I'll be thinking about you.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Helpful Hannah

I'm incredibly sorry for the fall you took at home resulting in multiple injuries, not the least of which is your blown knee ligament.  (The ortho knee docs in the hospital from which I retired all referred to torn knee ligaments as "blown.")

A little advice for you: make sure you're referred to a Sports Medicine surgeon who performs many knee surgeries; and, make sure that this surgeon has performed at least 400 knee ligament repair surgeries.  Why 400?  Because you really don't want your repair accomplished by someone who has just completed their residency with or without a Fellowship in Knee.  I'd much, much rather go for a doc pushing 50 than one nearly 40.  Why is this?  Because once a doc has completed medical school, then a Residency, followed by a Fellowship in Knee (and any knee doc worth anything will have done a Fellowship in Knee in Chicago, Cleveland Clinic, you name the big ones in Ortho.)

As a patient, you are your own best advocate, so ask about numbers; e.g., how many ACL repairs has Dr. Smith performed?  This is an extremely valid question!  Look this doctor up on the internet.  Find out all you can.  I do this all the time.  Boy oh boy!  I just found out that a hand surgeon I was referred to has the absolute worst reputation in the city in which I live.  He's apparently a decent surgeon, but does not listen to patients nor does he answer questions.  Frankly, I have no time for such ego maniacs and I bet you don't either.

Also, ask your surgeon what technique is going to be used to replace your blown ligament.  There are options and you need to know them.  There's the standard technique using your own tissue, but also another, which is also available, which uses donor tissue.

Though many physicians hate for their patients to educate themselves on the internet, I say "go to it."  You need to know what's going on inside you, options, expectations, the surgery, recovery, the whole nine yards.  It's actually rather nice to just sit there and read about it without anyone spewing this very important information in your face at what will probably be a somewhat emotionally charged appointment and they always seem to do it at warp speed!

You and some here may wonder why I've carried on in such a manner.  Well, this was my favorite part of being an RN.  I simply thrived in conflict, when I had a patient or patient with family with major surgery eminent and all were clearly upset - many times in tears.  It has never ceased to amaze me how insensitive physicians are to the needs of pre-op patients and families, especially in ortho and neurosurgery.  At times the information is simply dumped.  This is especially so when it's a matter of a traumatic injury (you fall into this category).  I would then try to squeeze in as much time as possible with the patient (and family) answering every single question, if I could.**  Sometimes the patient would ask for me to pray with him/her in closing.  I always walked out of those patient rooms knowing those patients would at least go into surgery without a "load" on their minds, which is so important physiologically and psychologically.

So...#1 is be kind to yourself.  Don't do a blame game regarding your home accident.  #2 is educate yourself via the internet.  #3 is insure that your knee surgeon has the credentials/experience that will give you a warm fuzzy feeling - confidence.  #4  Take a look at the interior of your house/apartment and know right now that to be kind to yourself after surgery, some shifting about of furniture and/or temporarily storing some thing out of the way will provide you with a safer environment.

God bless you now, during your surgery and recovery.

(**Sharing a really good example here.  Boating accident on a busy California lake.  Family in boat taking turn waterskiing.  At the time of the accident, 14 y.o. daughter on skis in the water doing fine.  Dad made a wide turn to avoid water traffic.  With the force of the turn, the teen daughter lost her grip and went into the water.  She had a flotation device on and was swimming around to re-orient herself, waiting for her dad to return in the board to pick her up.  As it was learned later, dad had too much to drink (DUI in a boat on a lake) and drove the boat over his daughter's lower leg.  Fast forward to the ortho floor where I was working.  Accident occurred on a Saturday a.m., Monday was a day off for me, so I'm now in on a Tuesday and this patient assigned to me.  My first sight of her is of her being wheeled away on a guerny, clearly to the O.R..  I checked her chart to catch up.  Carried on with other patients, then noticed 2 women seated on a love seat in an alcove and crying.  Went up to them and asked if I could help.  Here's where the system really failed this family: the 14 y.o. teen was being taking down to the O.R. for her second debridment due to serious propellor injuries to the right leg below the knee.  Staff had simply prepped her in front of her mother and grandmother and whisked her away, all while the mother attempted many times to find out what they were going to do with her daughter.  For all she knew, and I quote, "Are they going to cut off my daughter's leg?"  I found a chair and sat with them for 30 minutes, after making sure my patients were covered.  Unbelievable.)

Trusted Contributor

Things will get better??  Just tell yourself this over and over again.

Contributor

sfnative, thank you for your post; it did me a lot of good.

I've since seen an ortho doctor and he assured me I probably won't need surgery, and explained why (won't get into it here, too long an explanation). I see my primary care doctor today (that's what the discharge instructions from the ER said) and I'm anxious to find out if I might have broken a rib or two, since that area is pretty sore. If it is broken, there's nothing they can do but I'd just like to know, one way or another.

Honored Contributor

@Helpful Hannah

In your original post you said "my knee ligament is completely torn"! Who gave you that diagnosis? I asked you a couple more questions in my reply to that post, but I'm guessing you choose not to respond.

I've had 6 broken ribs, and upper Right Rib, most recently in early 2017. With broken(fractured ribs) it is very painful to breathe. To get a full load of Oxygen, I had to grab my lower Rib Cage/Lift it up, or my lungs were unable to completely expand. If you can breathe deeply, freely?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi my friend @sfnativeLooks like @Helpful Hannah liked what you had to say to her. She evidently doesn't want to discuss it with me, didn't even get a "💓" from her! Very in depth info from you to her, but that is who you are.

Really hope you are doing ok, you've been dealing with so much. Give me a short rundown on where you are now will ya?

I am still doing GREAT! Skating for 2 hours 2-3 times a week, and at a very high skill level for an "old man". Workout at home for a couple hours, or more 3 times a week. Still doing 15-30 minutes at home working on my balance. Ice skating is pretty much all 1 foot balance, so those days take care of that part of my workout.

My best to and for you in 2019

JOhn

hckynut(john)