Honored Contributor

Took my wife to the ER early this morning. She had been having a different type of abdominal pain than in the past, even different from the one for which she was admitted to the hospital last March.

She had gone to see our PCP on Wednesday afternoon and he agreed with with what she had been doing since the wee morning hours of Tuesday, which was nothing but ice cubes, and see if a few more days might solve the issue. He did that because her stay in March did not require surgery, and this is what was ordered my her(our) Bariatric Surgeon, and it worked.

Started really bothering more real late Friday night and she wanted to wait until morning to see if it lessened the pain. It didn't, so off to the ER. Ran a Contrasting CAT Scan, which showed it could possibly be a bile duct problem, so she was admitted. Was there till early afternoon waiting to hear more, but she insisted I go home and take care of our furry kids. She said she would call me with any new info, so I headed home.

Got home and did my feline and canine (Lily) things, boxes/food, water etc. No more than sat down and our power went off, thus are cordless phones, nor wifi worked. Called her with my cell to let her know to call my cell number, which is rarely turned on. Set a record high temp for our city, 98° which set in 1912 at 96°, nice eh?

Just talked with her and the Gastro Doctors(ours) were called to weigh in on this CAT Scan result. They suspect it might be an infection, so they ordered IV Antibiotics. They will either do an Endoscopy type of procedure, or have our Bariatric Surgeon make incisions to look with a scope. Both Gastro and Bariatric are now involved in her case, and they will decide which will be done.

I of course am hoping the Endo procedure will work, but if not, they have plenty of scope scars that they can use, I hope!  Won't know much more until tomorrow some time and will find out what time and procedure will take place. She is on the IV of Morphine so she is having much less pain.

Seemed like a long day already and it is just 6pm. Will update when I can.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut, John, I am sending good thoughts your way and prayers for your wife.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I hope you can get some rest tonight John. So sorry that your wife is in hospital.  I will keep you both in my thoughts  and prayers.  Please keep us up to date on how  things are going. 

Trusted Contributor

John, I'm so sorry to hear this news.  Please know that I will keep you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers.

My mom had always said to me when I had a difficult day "Everything will be better in the morning".  I'm hoping that  is the case for you tomorrow morning.

Honored Contributor

So sorry to hear that you and your wife are going through this.  I've had gastric bypass myself, several of my friends have had bariatric surgery also. I just want to share that my friend went through a similar experience two years after her bypass.  Her pain went from occassional belly aches to almost constant pain and then she couldn't keep food down.  After several miss diagnoses and every test and imaging procedure available, they discovered that she had abdominal adhesions.  They did a laparascopic lysis of the adhesions and she was fine but the adhesion came back 3 years later.  They did the lap procedure again and she has had no problems at since then...it's been ten years.

Honored Contributor

John, it’s been quite a few days for you and Cindy. I’m hoping they find the root of the problems quickly and get her on the road to recovery. Take care. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

John,

Sorry to hear about your wife.  I hope she is home soon and feeling better.  I will keep both of you in my thoughts.

Please take care.

Honored Contributor

Bless you both..... thinking of you and your dear wife....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@hckynut ~ Prayers and positive thoughts being sent to you and your wife, Cindy.  I hope whatever procedures the doctors plan on doing, it is at the most minimum.  Hope you (both) rest well.

Trusted Contributor

Please take care of yourself.  Sending prayers for all of you.  God bless.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~