Trusted Contributor

Re: My tryglycerides are very high, any tips.

On 11/20/2014 Sooner said:

Don't eat anything good (the advice of my mom's heart dr.). It isn't worth it! Simple. Stay away from that holiday stuff. No gift is like health!

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Super Contributor

High triglycerides are an indication that you are eating too many starchy and refined carbohydrates. Cut out the sugary drinks and other refined carbohydrates, including sugar, honey, candy, baked goods, and anything made with white (refined or enriched) flour, including white bread, rolls, cereals, buns, pastries, regular pasta, and white rice. Also, limit dried fruit, fruit juice, and alcohol.

There are lots of raw veggies to eat besides celery and carrots. Try radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, jicama, cucumbers, zucchini, pepper strips, cherry tomatoes. Try eating them with hummus. Garlic hummus is my favorite. Good luck!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

Yes,yes! Cut the sugars,all refined sugars. Walk of your pounds. Eat salads with chicken or fish or mushrooms or almonds for lunches. I love Andrew Lessman Supplements. So donot freak out do your reading and be proactive. Be well
Honored Contributor

On 11/20/2014 proofer said:

I will research more on line, have read a few articles on this subject. Just seems overwhelming to me especially with the holidays coming up. I got myself in this mess and I know it will take time to get out of it. I smoked for many years and quit 6 years ago, most of my life I was not a big eater but after quiting smoking I developed quite an appetite. Before going to doctor I had taken myself off salt, which was devasting to me I've been a big salt lover all my life, sweets were never a problem for me, but salt has been major. I was not happy with my weight before ever going to the doctor, hadn't weighed in years(always closed my eyes when being weighed at doctors. So when telling me my weight this week it was shocking. So I am commited to doing my very best I can with this. I've always been the type of person who didn't gain easily but if I did it was so hard to get off. So I know I've got my work cut out

This is ironic my husband recently lost 60lbs, (because of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He started walking 2 miles a day and ate Progresso soup for lunch and ate whatever he wanted the rest of the day and lost 60 lbs in just a few months, I kid you not!

If only that would work for me!

Anyway thanks for all the knowledge and tips.

Wow!! If you can kick smoking, losing weight is a 'piece of cake' (sorry for the pun!)!! You've been looking at the Tough Stuff in the rear view mirror for the last 6 years. With food, a tweet here/there is all you need to get the ball rolling. Sometimes all it takes is a small mind shift...and a certain synergy begins. Good Luck!

Super Contributor

On 11/20/2014 twocent said:
On 11/20/2014 Sooner said:

Don't eat anything good (the advice of my mom's heart dr.). It isn't worth it! Simple. Stay away from that holiday stuff. No gift is like health!

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Before my father died, he was limited on carbohydrates due to Type II diabetes. He was limited on fats due to heart disease, and he was limited on protein due to kidney issues. When I had my parents over to dinner, I would watch what my dad ate and say, "Dad, you really aren't supposed to eat that." One day he said, "I know, I know...if it tastes good, spit it out!"

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Valued Contributor

DH's physician urged a gluten-free eating plan for 3 months to see if his triglycerides would lower. His total cholesterol number is usually below 120, but tri's were very high, even with using tricor, a med used to treat this condition. It worked for him. And we both lost weight.

Because of the families that live with celiac, and their efforts to improve the quality of foods available to them, it was not difficult to find products in the major groceries, Kroger and Meijer, in my area. I used books from Mark Hyman for meal ideas and new pantry staples, especially The Ultra Metabolism Cookbook. We skimmed The UltraSimple Diet and The Blood Sugar Solution as well, because DH is carbohydrate sensitive and we want to keep his blood sugar below 100 with diet, not meds.

Trusted Contributor

I heard anything that grows under ground has high sugar. 1.7 g in potatoe and 2.9 g in carrots
Occasional Contributor

On 11/19/2014 PinkPagoda said:

I had a similar problem and I am fixing it by increasing the good fats (olive oil, avocados, nuts) and decreasing the saturated fats (read labels, but most fried or baked items - crackers, cookies, etc).

Also, I try to work out 4 -5 times a week, and increase the cardio so that I am breaking a sweat. Obviously this is something that needs to be worked up to slowly and with your doctor's OK.

I also have cleaned up how I eat in that there is much less sugar and carbs, and have increased the veggies and eat protein at every meal. I am in my early 50s and also fighting 'the change' so this is a slow process but I am seeing results and have lost 20 lbs since June.

Start by making small lifestyle changes that you can live with without suffering too much - you will not be able to sustain your energy on carrots and celery. However, I find that a really good snack that does hold me is baby carrots and hummus, which is protein. I also grill a lot of chicken, slice it up and put it in a tortilla with sliced avocado and salsa.

Research online the foods that are good for reducing cholesterol and increase those while slowing removing the bad stuff from your diet. So far, I have dropped my cholesterol by 79 pts. in the past 6 months and have 30 pts. to go. I would also like to lose another 25 lbs and the dr. says that with the weight coming off the cholesterol number will drop too.

This will be a slow process and the lifestyle changes will make you feel better and have more energy in the long run. Continue to challenge yourself with the exercise and don't worry about the scale; rather, look at how your clothes fit and over time as you get more in shape it will become easier to stick with the process. Good luck to you and know that you are not alone!

That's great advice and encouraging!! Keep up the great work!

Super Contributor

My doctor's currently trying me on fish oil (Lovaza wasn't covered by insurance) and a prescription high Niacin (Niaspan) supplement. It's helping, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get it low enough as I've had high triglycerides and cholesterol (especially tri's) all my life. "Fun" to inherit real high numbers! I saw a cardiologist for a small heart murmur and he was very discouraging, though the above have reduced my numbers more than he predicted, thank goodness. I'd found out they were even higher than before when already eating a diet of 1 1/2 servings of oatmeal for breakfast, the amount recommended for change, and a mostly plant diet. Needless to say, I was real frustrated when I found out they were so high!

Best of luck to you!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Also if you do alcohol . . . don't.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986