Respected Contributor

My sister had lobe of lung removed due to cancer

I am not trying to get a Doctors opinion.  My sister has those.  I was just wondering if anyone had this done through several excisions.  She had it on Monday afternoon and went home Wednesday.  She has been in a lot of pain.  The surgeon found cancer cells outside the pleural cavity and said they could just wait and see what happens.  I am sure her cancer Dr. may have a different take.  She has so many other medical problems.  Just wondering how long for the pain to subside.  

Honored Contributor

Re: My sister had lobe of lung removed due to cancer

@chiclet I have no answers for you...but recall the fear when both of my parents were diagnosed with cancer...it is a scary time, but when you have good information that does help.  I am sure you will get some good advice

I wish your sister well.

Trusted Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I am not trying to get a Doctors opinion.  My sister has those.  I was just wondering if anyone had this done through several excisions.  She had it on Monday afternoon and went home Wednesday.  She has been in a lot of pain.  The surgeon found cancer cells outside the pleural cavity and said they could just wait and see what happens.  I am sure her cancer Dr. may have a different take.  She has so many other medical problems.  Just wondering how long for the pain to subside.  

A family member of mine just had the same surgery about 6 weeks ago.  He had one lobe removed on the left side through several incisions.  The first 2 weeks he did have pain and fatigue...plus difficulty sleeping.  I just saw him yesterday and he is feeling much better.  He does not have pain...but does have sensitivity in the surgery area.  I hope your sister rests and has someone to help her in her recovery.  I am assuming that is you.  My family member was way too anxious to get moving the first couple weeks and ended up spraining a muscle in this chest lifting something heavy.  But as of yesterday...he was back to cutting grass and other activities.  Hope your sister feels better soon. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My BIL did several years ago ,and he has been fine ever since. I don't have any answer for the other questions, because I honestly don't know

Respected Contributor

I don't have experience with this type of cancer, but wanted you to know I prayed for your sister and am sending good thoughts her way.  🌷

Honored Contributor

There is no way that anyone can answer that for you, for many different reasons.  I'm sorry that your sister is going through, I hope with treatment that she has a positive outcome.  We all experience pain in different ways and no one here knows your sister's situation.  If she is having a significant problem with post op pain, she should speak to her surgeon or the attending physician.  As her sister, you can speak to the nurses or the attending physician about her pain.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother had an entire lung removed due to lung cancer and lived 31 years after with no chemo or radiation.

At the time her doctor said maybe 6 months.....

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter   Your reply gives me much hope. Tomorrow my DH and I are heading to the hospital so he can have a PET done on his lungs. Most recent CT showed 'something' in the upper lobes. Of course we're praying for the best as this may be his 3rd go-around with this disease.

I'm amazed to learn your mother had no chemo or radiation. The others who posted here made no mention of chemo as well.

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers for your sister and your family. I hope the pain subsides soon. ❤️

Valued Contributor

I also had upper left lobe removed laproscopically ...  no radiation or chemo ... 13 years ago.  It was painful but recovered just fine once I started moving around !!  You have to start moving ...  not exercise, but returning to your original way of life.  I thank my God every day ...  He took away my desire to smoke 18 years ago, which was a HUGE blessing overcoming that hurdle, but also my cancer was discovered very early.  My prayers for your sister ...