Regular Contributor

Re: My shoulder surgery is scheduled

Hello Gabby, I am going through a similar circumstance. After 2 years of not walking, I decided last may to have a THR (total hip replacement) on my right side. It was so successful, that after 3 months of PT, I decided last week to have my left side done. I am now home, having PT 3X/wk at home and hope to be in good shape by the Holidays. My suggestions for you are to listen to your Dr., follow through with PT and keep at it, get plenty of rest and eat protein for healing. You should do fine! And I will keep you in my thoughts. There are many of us out there that are recuperating from new parts. Good luck to you my dear!

Trusted Contributor

Hi Wagirl! I have a question for you. I have had a frozen shoulder on my left side for almost a year. It was doing better after physical therapy but I slacked off on the at home exercises and it came back again. It has now spread to my right shoulder. I was wondering what kind of surgery do they do for this? I was hoping mine would go away on its own.
Super Contributor

I have had a complete shoulder replacement surgery one year ago. When I researched the definition of complete verses reverse shoulder replacement my surgery was with rotator cuff tear and severe arthritis. That is the definition of reverse shoulder surgery. My surgery was a complete success. There are so many things I can do now that were impossible before. I can do the following: open and close the car door, turn the steering wheel, raise my arm over my head, shampoo my hair, put on a jacket, reach the shower curtain rod, my deodorant on and it dries, put dishes away in the cupboards, unload and load the dishwasher. I made it my goal to take try to make a fun list to mark my progress. Yes please have this surgery. I was inpatient one night only and came home to recuperate. My doctor had an ice circulating machine for me when I woke up in the hospital and was able to take it home forever. My anesthesiologist had tried a pain pump for the first five days. This worked very well to control inflammation and pain. I believe continued use of the icing machine helped my recovery. Please embrace the chance of a pain free outcome and range of motion so much better than you have now. I endured six years of pain and no movement before surgery that afterward I was like a kid in a candy store. If you look online there is a set guidelines for physical therapy. Follow what these are using icing machine and pain pills before your pain level is too high. Good luck and please post your recovery.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you nagrom for your explanation. My son is opting for surgery the end of the year and I was worried. For 25 years he has been a heavy duty truck mechanic and this year is really feeling the pain.

Gabby, I hope everything went well with you.

Honored Contributor

OMG, my heart goes out to the OP, and all of you.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 11/9/2014 nagrom said: I have had a complete shoulder replacement surgery one year ago. When I researched the definition of complete verses reverse shoulder replacement my surgery was with rotator cuff tear and severe arthritis. That is the definition of reverse shoulder surgery. My surgery was a complete success. There are so many things I can do now that were impossible before. I can do the following: open and close the car door, turn the steering wheel, raise my arm over my head, shampoo my hair, put on a jacket, reach the shower curtain rod, my deodorant on and it dries, put dishes away in the cupboards, unload and load the dishwasher. I made it my goal to take try to make a fun list to mark my progress. Yes please have this surgery. I was inpatient one night only and came home to recuperate. My doctor had an ice circulating machine for me when I woke up in the hospital and was able to take it home forever. My anesthesiologist had tried a pain pump for the first five days. This worked very well to control inflammation and pain. I believe continued use of the icing machine helped my recovery. Please embrace the chance of a pain free outcome and range of motion so much better than you have now. I endured six years of pain and no movement before surgery that afterward I was like a kid in a candy store. If you look online there is a set guidelines for physical therapy. Follow what these are using icing machine and pain pills before your pain level is too high. Good luck and please post your recovery.

Those are all the things I can't do either. I'm so happy for you that you have overcome that and are recovered.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

Ditto to what Ford just said, you all have my prayers, and I am so thankful that I have my health ( for the most part) . Now if I could only get some relief for my knee. uugghhh