Respected Contributor

My report on my first cataract surgery!

Some of you had asked me to get back to you after my cataract surgery. Well I had my left eye done 2 days ago (6/6), with the right eye scheduled for 6/20.  I had opted for the expensive multifocal lenses (not covered by insurance), so I was really hoping for good results (the promise of no glasses needed).

I can honestly say that the entire experience was great!  The nurses and staff at the surgical care center were the kindest (maybe even fun) people I could have hoped for.  My doctor is also the best.  I had an IV, but I was entirely awake through the entire procedure.  Most people are freaked out when I tell them that, but truly I would prefer a similar experience when I have the other eye done.  There was no drug "hangover" at all, and I walked out of there feeling great!  My sister drove, but I actually could have driven myself home if that had been allowed.

The first change I noticed was whites and colors!  I tried covering the good eye first and saw totally dull colors and yellowish whites.  When I covered the bad eye, everything was bright and colorful.....OMG!  I had no idea that so much had changed over the years.

I went back to the doc for the post op yesterday so he could check for infection and check my vision with the symphony lens implanted.  My eye is fine and, for the first time since I was about 35, I have 20/20 in that eye!  Most of the "halos" are disappearing today, and last night I read the newspaper without my readers......hallelujah!  I can't wait to get the other eye done, but there is one big problem..........I have found many wrinkles I didn't even know I had.......yikes! 

@hckynut

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Re: My report on my first cataract surgery!

Congratulations and wishing you well for your next one. Mine was a blessing, allowing me to no longer need glasses or contacts.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for your report. I wear glasses for nearsightedness but not to read. I do have astigmatism...do you? It would be great to be glasses free. I would pay extra for that! I am a few years away from surgery though.

Continued success and keep us posted!

Valued Contributor

Im sure somebody must have mentioned it to you, but after you have the second eye done w/the transitional lenses, it takes about 4 months before you are seeing clearly w/both eyes again. 

I had fabulous results after one eye, but got terribley discouraged after the second eye was done..my eyes weren't coordinating yet........but it got a LOT better w/time.  Just have faith in what your physician tells you. 

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld  Yes, I have an astigmatism in both eyes (I'm told nearly everyone does have to some degree).  That made no difference; the doctor I have is excellent, but not cheap.  My insurance would have paid for the standard lenses, but there's no way I was going to have to wear glasses for the rest of my life.  The insurance covers the surgical procedure, but I'm paying $2,900 per eye for the symphony lenses.  I'm using the CareCredit and have 1 year to pay it off in total.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@wonderfulworld  Yes, I have an astigmatism in both eyes (I'm told nearly everyone does have to some degree).  That made no difference; the doctor I have is excellent, but not cheap.  My insurance would have paid for the standard lenses, but there's no way I was going to have to wear glasses for the rest of my life.  The insurance covers the surgical procedure, but I'm paying $2,900 per eye for the symphony lenses.  I'm using the CareCredit and have 1 year to pay it off in total.

Thank you! That is good to know. I pay around $400.00 a pair for regular glasses and then for sunglasses so it wouldn't take too long to make up the difference. Continued success to you.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your post about your eye surgery.  I have worn glasses, then contacts, since 2nd grade.  I am looking forward to getting my eyes done when my cataracts get bad enough.  I guess that is one of the FEW advantages to getting old!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Thank you for your post about your eye surgery.  I have worn glasses, then contacts, since 2nd grade.  I am looking forward to getting my eyes done when my cataracts get bad enough.  I guess that is one of the FEW advantages to getting old!

@Puppy Lips  Yes, and the other advantage happened when I turned about 50!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I'm glad your outcome was good, @2blonde.  That being awake part....ugh.  Lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I'm glad your outcome was good, @2blonde.  That being awake part....ugh.  Lol.

@Mmsfoxxie  I know, I really thought I'd rather be asleep too, but I was awake and only saw two bright lights near my eye and heard the doc when he told me to look straight ahead.  They put numbing drops in the eye first, so I really didn't feel anything.  Your other eye and the rest of your face is totally covered with plastic.  The whole procedure only took maybe 10-15 minutes.  I spent a lot more time getting prepped (15 drops in the eye, etc.).  I was actually more apprehensive before the surgery than I am now. I can't wait to go back for the other eye!

Laura loves cats!