Honored Contributor

My pudding doesn’t have carrageenan and guar gum anymore. Yay.

I stopped eating foods with carrageenan and most with guar gum. Carrageenan really hurts my stomach. The last time I ate Cozy Shack Rice Pudding my stomach bothered me and I checked and there was carrageenan on the label. I stopped buying it. That was a few years ago. My husband brought some home and I checked the label and the carrageenan and gums are gone and now all it contains is low fat milk, rice and sugar and it tastes very good. No more stomach pain for me. 

Honored Contributor

Re: My pudding doesn’t have carrageenan and guar gum anymore. Yay.

Dr Andrew Weil who I swear by, says Carrageenan should not be consumed.  He says it is not that bad for you, but if he had to make a choice, he would advise to avoid it. It is in a lot of skin care too. 

Honored Contributor

It's my favorite pudding.  Esp the tapioca.  The chocolate is not too sugary/sweet.  

Trusted Contributor

You'll find carrageenan in some supplements. It's a thickener so I'm not exactly sure why a supplement would need it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D -

This is probably why it bothers you-

(from google)-

"Carrageenan is an additive used to thicken, emulsify, and preserve foods and drinks. It's a natural ingredient that comes from red seaweed (also called Irish moss). ... Some evidence suggests that carrageenan triggers inflammation, gastrointestinal ulcerations, and that it damages your digestive system."

Europe has banned it in infant formulas.

Most ice cream has it and many other everyday products.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Carrageenan is found in many non-dairy creamers and nut milks. I first found out about that ingredient on an episode of Dr. Oz  years ago. That's when I decided to stop using non-dairy creamers and certain brands of nut milks. Non-dairy creamers are just bad anyway and I'd rather not use it.

The facts are lacking and more research need to be done about the health effects of consuming CGN.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29469913

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Mindy D -

This is probably why it bothers you-

(from google)-

"Carrageenan is an additive used to thicken, emulsify, and preserve foods and drinks. It's a natural ingredient that comes from red seaweed (also called Irish moss). ... Some evidence suggests that carrageenan triggers inflammation, gastrointestinal ulcerations, and that it damages your digestive system."

Europe has banned it in infant formulas.

Most ice cream has it and many other everyday products.

I know. There’s more than one type of carrageenan too. The stuff really causes problems for me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use to love to make Thai red curry chicken or tofu but I had stopped because all the coconut milks were full of gums that hurt my stomach. Now I’m finding a few coconut milks without all the gums. Once I ate some frozen coconut milk bars on a stick and I thought I was going to die from the stomach pain. When I checked the ingredients it was all gums, carrageenan and a couple more gums but I can’t remember which ones. To be fair, there are a couple gums that do not cause me to have stomach distress. 

C5E3081D-2099-406C-A56D-846C39383C47.jpeg

Heres what I mean. Ingredients:

Skim Milk, Sugar, Coconut Cream, Coconut, Cream, Natural Flavor (Contains Soy), Guar Gum, Carob Bean Gum, Dextrose, Carrageenan, Xanthan Gum.

Honored Contributor

I’ve been writing to companies to please take these ingredients out over the last few years. Dannon Yogurt has taken gums out of their Vanilla and Plain yogurt. I don’t know about their other products.

Honored Contributor

Almond Breeze has also taken out the Carageenan. It has gellan gum but this is not causing me any stomach distress.