Respected Contributor

Re: My new diet has solved many problems but created some new issues

On 7/27/2014 HUENEME GIRL said:

sounds strange but sugar cravings can be controlled with a piece of cheese!

I honestly do not think it is sweets I crave, it is more a texture issue. We have eaten clean for many years, I cook from scratch, no processed foods, very little sugar. When I crunch crave I would reach for bell peppers, raw, no dip. Pretzels or chips do not appeal to me any more. But now that I can not eat peppers and many other vegetables that I love I am 'off the rails.' Sigh..
Respected Contributor

On 7/27/2014 SuesCat said:

Maybe your cravings are telling you that you are lacking in B - Vitamins? many of which are found in whole grains? 'Just a thought.

'Glad you've had such success so soon! 'Wishing you continued progress!

Thank you for the well wishes. I could not have dreamed of better results, with NO MEDS. I have to focus on the positive. A co-worker recommended her after her mother found huge relief of hives and painful knees and ankles. All from diet modifications.
Trusted Contributor

I have some food allergies and I can't eat some veggies I used to love. My dietician told me that eating the paleo diet will help those cravings for carbs. She suggested good fats, which the paleo diet encourage as they satisfy the munchies urge such as avocados, nuts and seeds. I would suggest maybe trying those and see if they help your cravings. If you can have dairy, rich cheese is also good. None of the over-processed stuff, just the real block cheese or gouda.

Honored Contributor

On 7/27/2014 Abrowneyegirl said:

I honestly do not think it is sweets I crave, it is more a texture issue. We have eaten clean for many years, I cook from scratch, no processed foods, very little sugar. When I crunch crave I would reach for bell peppers, raw, no dip. Pretzels or chips do not appeal to me any more. But now that I can not eat peppers and many other vegetables that I love I am 'off the rails.' Sigh..

Sounds like you miss bread. Can't you eat any of the gluten free, whole grain breads and crackers that are available? You can buy whole grain, gluten free flour and make your own if you want total control over what's in your bread.

Honored Contributor

Makes perfect sense .... protein with a little fat kills sugar cravings .... always default to protein.

Honored Contributor

OP, it sounds like your dietician knows what they are doing, and you can't be the first person on the planet to eliminate certain foods and have other cravings.

Talk to your dietician and have them "tweak" your permissible food list. That should do the trick. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

Reading chrystaltree's comment also made me think about bread. I couldn't stand the gluten-free breads I found in the stores, they all tasted wooden to me. I rooted around on the net and found a couple of recipes of bread made with teff flour. I love the teff flour, its nutty and satisfying. No, not for sandwiches but great toasted and very tasty. Just google gluten-free teff bread recipes.

Honored Contributor

I was a slave to cravings until I omitted dairy, grain, salt, and sugar. When I do eat sugar (weddings) I can't wait to get back on track. Feeling great!
Honored Contributor

Sweet potatoes? Rice?

Esteemed Contributor

I've been low-carb for almost a year now---and my health has greatly improved! I rarely ever have sugar cravings anymore, but if I get to wanting a desert, I have an Atkins shake or an Atkins bar of some sort. They are really delicious and they are extremely satisfying.