Honored Contributor

Re: My medical office is becoming like my car mechanic

@Trinity11  I have zero disagreement with @ChillyTulip.  I agreed with everything she said except to not go to the doctor at all and stay home. 

If she is a doctor, I'd be appalled if she really meant it that way.  I think she was just trying to emphasize a point of disagreement. 

I have never advocated for zero medical care and I never would nor do I think she would either.  I think we are actually agreeing more than we are differing here. 

If she is a doctor, I am sure it's very frustrating for her when a patient refuses instruction for something she really believes they need and it's a waste of her time and resources when people do that.

That's not what I am saying here.  I am saying take a doctor's recommendation to heart but then do your own reading and know yourself because in the end YOU are who has to live with the end result and any decision that is made.     

Honored Contributor

@ChillyTulip wrote:

First and foremost, if you don't want to follow up on any possible abnormal studies, there is an easy answer:  DON'T GO TO THE DOCTOR IN THE FIRST PLACE.  Stay home and care for yourself.

Secondly, if your primary is sending you for testing, rest assured he or she doesn't "make money."  That would be a kickback which is illegal.  The only people making money are the owners of the labs and imaging centers.  Physicians would be billionaires if they received money for every study they ordered.  Most PCP offices are trying to keep their heads above water due to continued decreasing reimbursements from insurance companies--exactly why more are selling to hospitals because they can't afford to practice independently anymore.  If you chose a high deductible plan, you understood what you were signing up for and that you would have to pay cash until you meet that deductible.  Your insurance is between you and the insurance company, not the physician.

Lastly,  your doctor is absolutely covering their behind because the minute something is missed the same person complaining about "all the unnecessary testing" will be the first to sue them for not "doing everything." 

If you don't want to follow up, you DON'T have to.   Simply let your physician know you are refusing a certain test or study because you don't think it's medically necessary.  The physician will document in the medical record that you refuse and that you understand the potential consequences of not doing so, including worsening of illness or disease and/or death.   This way, you get what you want and the physician can't be sued if something goes badly due to patient non-compliance.   Trust me, he or she won't care if you follow up--just that you understand the potential consequences of your decision. :-)

I think this speaks volumes, actually.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

You go in for regular maintenance and they always find something wrong they want you to spend more money for.

Did my annual physical earlier this week and they found a microscopic item that they needed to hunt me down and demand a response to.   

I look at my history for that particular test and while I had nothing last year, three years ago, I had the same finding at double what I showed this week and not one person from the office ever said boo to me.

Not expecting to hear back again since I pointed that out but I have decided this year, I am done draining my HSA for nonsense.  I'm still young enough to take the chance. 

Can't wait for the mammogram on Monday.  They are the ones who love to call me back and drain my HSA along with my emotional well being all to end up with "we're not sure but it's probably nothing." 

I already have my pen ready to write on the intake form "NOT coming back so make sure my breasts smile wide for your cameras."   

@Laura14

Ever hear the reminder "Early detection saves lives"?

You certainly have the right to forego testing, but don't whine if later "something" is caught in advanced stage.  Preventative testing can go a long way to save money down the road.   

Maybe you just need to get a new doctor  ....?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Don't worry. I will cross you off my eulogy guest speaker list.
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
@Tinkrbl44Don't worry. I will cross you off my eulogy guest speaker list.

@Laura14

Huh ???    Hey, preventative care saves many lives.  If you don't want to spend the money to maintain optimum health, that's your choice.   It's the old saying .... if you don't have your health, you don't have anything.   (Or something like that.  lol)

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
@Tinkrbl44Don't worry. I will cross you off my eulogy guest speaker list.

'reer’

Honored Contributor

@ChillyTulip wrote:

First and foremost, if you don't want to follow up on any possible abnormal studies, there is an easy answer:  DON'T GO TO THE DOCTOR IN THE FIRST PLACE.  Stay home and care for yourself.

Secondly, if your primary is sending you for testing, rest assured he or she doesn't "make money."  That would be a kickback which is illegal.  The only people making money are the owners of the labs and imaging centers.  Physicians would be billionaires if they received money for every study they ordered.  Most PCP offices are trying to keep their heads above water due to continued decreasing reimbursements from insurance companies--exactly why more are selling to hospitals because they can't afford to practice independently anymore.  If you chose a high deductible plan, you understood what you were signing up for and that you would have to pay cash until you meet that deductible.  Your insurance is between you and the insurance company, not the physician.

Lastly,  your doctor is absolutely covering their behind because the minute something is missed the same person complaining about "all the unnecessary testing" will be the first to sue them for not "doing everything." 

If you don't want to follow up, you DON'T have to.   Simply let your physician know you are refusing a certain test or study because you don't think it's medically necessary.  The physician will document in the medical record that you refuse and that you understand the potential consequences of not doing so, including worsening of illness or disease and/or death.   This way, you get what you want and the physician can't be sued if something goes badly due to patient non-compliance.   Trust me, he or she won't care if you follow up--just that you understand the potential consequences of your decision. :-)

@ChillyTulip

Great post!   I don't know why people are so fixated with the idea if someone is sent for tests, then the doctor must be just doing it to make money   ....  it couldn't POSSIBLY be because there is a medical reason.  Boggles the mind. 

Healthcare isn't cheap, but when something goes seriously wrong, most people would rather be taken care of by the best medical personnel possible ...... it's no one's preference to just die.   

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Trinity11  I have zero disagreement with @ChillyTulip.  I agreed with everything she said except to not go to the doctor at all and stay home. 

If she is a doctor, I'd be appalled if she really meant it that way.  I think she was just trying to emphasize a point of disagreement. 

I have never advocated for zero medical care and I never would nor do I think she would either.  I think we are actually agreeing more than we are differing here. 

If she is a doctor, I am sure it's very frustrating for her when a patient refuses instruction for something she really believes they need and it's a waste of her time and resources when people do that.

That's not what I am saying here.  I am saying take a doctor's recommendation to heart but then do your own reading and know yourself because in the end YOU are who has to live with the end result and any decision that is made.     

@Laura14 I bet it is difficult for a physician to read how so many patients have serious doubts about their care and accusations of being in the profession for $. I must admit it surprised me reading this thread how many think there just is too much needless testing. (Not directed at you personally)

As far as picking and choosing what tests we feel appropriate, I defer to my physicians because I have not been educated for nearly ten years to determine what I need or don't need. That is why I rarely question my physicians. I believe in their expertise. If I didn't I would seek care from a physician I trusted implicitly and change into a new practice.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 the real issue here which I was very upfront about with the office is that most of us with employer coverage have insurance on paper only.

Until I spend $6000 of my own money, insurance doesn't exist for anything other than the one annual doctor visit period. That's most people under 65's reality and how today's insurance works.

I don't have $6000 to spend. Therefore I like many others have to make decisions like this.

If I was blessed enough to have the independent financial resources or medical coverage others seem to have, I'd be at the referral office by dark tonight.

Unfortunately, until I get to 68 and have working people like me now contributing to Medicare if it's even still around and viable, I have no one helping to pay for any extras.

And without a really strong indication that something may be truly amiss, I choose not to pay for a slight possibility but probably nothing investigation that will put me out hundreds of dollars to start.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catwhisperer wrote:

Be your own advocate. I feel I know my body better than any doctor. I am in my late 60's. I am in good health, and take no meds. I do get certain preventative tests done on a regular basis as well as a yearly flu shot, but when the doctor starts recommending numerous tests for this and that, I just say no. They are all about the money IMO.

I have no dental problems, but do get a yearly exam and cleaning. My dentist says I do not need to come every six months and do not need yearly x-rays. I have been going to him for decades and appreciate his honestly.

@catwhisperer

We all know our bodies better than any doctor.  However, there are several situations where symptoms don't manifest until it's too late.  That's why screening tests can be so important.  

They call high blood pressure "the silent killer" because people can die of massive strokes, not even knowing their BP was high!

By the time a person feels symptoms for colon or pancreatic cancer, it's usually stage 4 and all they can do is "make you comfortable" until you succumb to the disease.