Honored Contributor

Re: My medical office is becoming like my car mechanic

@mousiegirl wrote:

@151949 wrote:

My DH falls for every thing they tell him. He's a perfect target for doctors and dentists. He had a simple UTI this spring. Antibiotics and it was gone - but he ended up having a CT scan and a bladder scope before it was over, only to be told there was nothing wrong with him. Previous to the doctor telling him he had a UTI because there were nitrates in his urine he had no symptoms at all but he blows everything way out of proportion.

@151949  When DH's doctor wanted to put him on statins, they all want that it seems, I sent DH a lot of links to articles mentioning the danger, so DH shwoed the doctor, lol, and he is not on statins.  He takes aspirin as do I, and our blood is thin enough, I can see it when rose thorns get our arms.

Statin drugs don't make your blood not clot - statins help the body to eliminate cholesterol.

Respected Contributor

I am not so naive that I don't know some of these negative experiences exist.  I guess I am lucky with both mechanics and doctors.  I would like to think that I go into these situations armed with information, and ask a lot of questions.  I did this when I was involved in my parent's medical as well.  I do not feel taken advantage of.  I have a great relationship with my primary care physician.  We work as a team, and I really trust her.  I have a horrible attitude when it comes to medical procedures/tests, and I am very determined to not spend anymore time with any of that unless absolutely necessary.  Unfortunately, I've logged in numerous hours at the dentist, but again, they never up-sale me anything.  I appreciate that.  And finally, my docs take the time to research the best deal on any meds prescribed.  I like that about technology today.  Doc gets the iphone out and looks it up right there.  Amazing.

Super Contributor

First and foremost, if you don't want to follow up on any possible abnormal studies, there is an easy answer:  DON'T GO TO THE DOCTOR IN THE FIRST PLACE.  Stay home and care for yourself.

Secondly, if your primary is sending you for testing, rest assured he or she doesn't "make money."  That would be a kickback which is illegal.  The only people making money are the owners of the labs and imaging centers.  Physicians would be billionaires if they received money for every study they ordered.  Most PCP offices are trying to keep their heads above water due to continued decreasing reimbursements from insurance companies--exactly why more are selling to hospitals because they can't afford to practice independently anymore.  If you chose a high deductible plan, you understood what you were signing up for and that you would have to pay cash until you meet that deductible.  Your insurance is between you and the insurance company, not the physician.

Lastly,  your doctor is absolutely covering their behind because the minute something is missed the same person complaining about "all the unnecessary testing" will be the first to sue them for not "doing everything." 

If you don't want to follow up, you DON'T have to.   Simply let your physician know you are refusing a certain test or study because you don't think it's medically necessary.  The physician will document in the medical record that you refuse and that you understand the potential consequences of not doing so, including worsening of illness or disease and/or death.   This way, you get what you want and the physician can't be sued if something goes badly due to patient non-compliance.   Trust me, he or she won't care if you follow up--just that you understand the potential consequences of your decision. :-)

Respected Contributor

Totally agree.  It's all about the money.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949  I've done that.  Never went anywhere else which is why the second time in a row they did call me back even with me opting for the new 3D they had available that year made me incredibly mad and that's when I swore to never go through it again. 

In my opinion, there was no reason for the second callback when you have years of my films right there and an enhanced current screening and still found the same result after scaring the you know what out of me for the second time and all the money I was out again.  

The company I worked for had just changed owners and they offered a "Best Doctors" program which you probably know is a third party opinion.  They and my doctor all said it's probably the same thing but only a biopsy would determine for sure and my doctor wasn't real keen on putting me through it.  I frankly didn't have the money and the next year they didn't call me back at all and found my films consistent with a known cyst.  Imagine that!

I actually was just thinking about you and your husband.  The doctor's office just contacted me again about my urinalysis and said they needed to refer me to urology for my reading because that's the guidelines and there was a 50% chance I could have kidney or bladder cancer/stones.  No, I actually looked.  The guidelines are referral after 2-3 findings.  I've had only one which is minimal at best. 

I said thanks but no thanks.   Time to drink more water for what's probably if it's anything at all stones.  Last I checked horribly painful but not a death sentence.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChillyTulip  I am not that severe about it and I would never recommend someone not go at least for their annual.  My point was to watch the follow ups and recommendations which I know are absolutely recommended by the accountants and not necessarily by the doctors since you are right people will sue you for anything these days and medical facilities have to stay profitable too.  They are not charities and I take responsibility for all of my medical decisions knowing at some point I could choose wrong.  

I've had some issues with their recommendations before and I've said no even before today and did my own thing and it's pretty much worked for me.  Case in point I don't think you put someone who's marginal cholesterol wise on statins before trying lifetsyle changes.  I am actually a person who does do those and have been very successful at it. 

In my previous post, I just said they told me a guideline existed that is not correct.  It does exist as they said but only after 2-3 test results not just one like mine. 

Just a heads up is all I am trying to say here especially if you are not made of money and have no insurance until you meet a ridiculous deductible like me.  Those guidelines may be a little more flexible than you are being told.  Educate yourself and do what's right for you.      

Esteemed Contributor

@ChillyTulip  I know for a fact that there’s a financial relationship between doctors & laboratories. I’ve been told this by people I know who work in the medical fields.Not in the form of kickbacks.A lot of doctors are investors in the labs. etc.Also doctors have referral agreements among themselves.

Now since a lot of practices are joining large medical groups they are even more closely tied to the labs & eachother.

I don’t see a need to explain to a doctor why I’m not going for additional testing.I don’t want that back & forth it’s way too stressful. I simply just don’t follow up.It’s not my job to help them document my refusal.

People have high deductibles because they can’t afford their insurance .They can’t afford their insurance because the cost of treatment is to high.The cost of treatment is to high because providers charge too much.Insurance companies don’t want to pay those high costs so they are reducing payouts & raising deductibles.It’s a never ending cycle.

Doctors should also spend less time covering their behinds & more time doing their jobs. Doctors used to listen to their patients & start out with simple treatments first then send you for testing if they didn’t work.Now they don’t wait they immediately refer patients for a slew of tests.

Respected Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

My observation thru the years is the amount of time you actually interact with the doctor. This thread reminds me of the same scenarios at my Vet as well.  It is mind boggling to me how many assistants, nurses, lab techs who I see more of than the actual doctor.  It is the payroll overhead that is sabotaging our bank accounts.  These doctors/vets need to cut some of their overhead & spent more time with the patients which is what we are paying for.  I had my annual eye exam yesterday; was there 1 1/2 hrs & saw the doctor a total of 10 minutes.  

Oh yeah - my exact experience at the opthalmologist too.  I sit in the lobby for 1/2 hour till moved back to an office where a tech checks pressure and has me read the "chart".   Next she puts the dilation solution in my eyes then I go to an inner lobby to sit till that works.  THen I get put back into another room till the Opthalmologist moves through the various rooms till he gets to me.  He looks into my eyes with the scope and prisms and in 10 minutes I'm done with him.  I'm there for 1 1/2 hours every year!  

Honored Contributor

I know once my DH and I started with Medicare (many years ago) every doctor had us come in every 3 months and usually lab work before the visit.  Also, some tests I was told were necessary before were not allowed as often by Medicare so they are no longer scheduled as often.  (Don't know if this is good or bad.)

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@ChillyTulip  I am not that severe about it and I would never recommend someone not go at least for their annual.  My point was to watch the follow ups and recommendations which I know are absolutely recommended by the accountants and not necessarily by the doctors since you are right people will sue you for anything these days and medical facilities have to stay profitable too.  They are not charities and I take responsibility for all of my medical decisions knowing at some point I could choose wrong.  

I've had some issues with their recommendations before and I've said no even before today and did my own thing and it's pretty much worked for me.  Case in point I don't think you put someone who's marginal cholesterol wise on statins before trying lifetsyle changes.  I am actually a person who does do those and have been very successful at it. 

In my previous post, I just said they told me a guideline existed that is not correct.  It does exist as they said but only after 2-3 test results not just one like mine. 

Just a heads up is all I am trying to say here especially if you are not made of money and have no insurance until you meet a ridiculous deductible like me.  Those guidelines may be a little more flexible than you are being told.  Educate yourself and do what's right for you.      

@Laura14... from what I have read Chilly Tulip is a pediatrician. She has posted over the years some very informative posts.