Honored Contributor

Re: My little grand-nephew has been diagnosed with autism

@Q4u wrote:

The science has been firmly behind there being no connection between the preservatives in these vacines and autism.  I understand there may be political and/or monetary reasons behind that assessment.  However, as much as this has been publicised... I lean towards the science.

I am truly sorry this has happened to your dear little grand-nephew.  There is now wonderful and successful programs and teachers that can help him realize his full potential and starting that training really early will also be beneficial.  I wish your family the very, very best outcome....  

@Q4u

Thank you Q4U.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree. Don't really know why NJ. Lot of opinions and speculation, but no definitive answer.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@LilacTree. Don't really know why NJ. Lot of opinions and speculation, but no definitive answer.

@proudlyfromNJ

Not surprising.  More and more diseases and afflictions are not able to be diagnosed these days.  It's worrisome.

I do suspect it's all the chemicals in our food and water, even organic is not free of all harmful things.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I found two articles, one from 2016 and one from 2014...

http://www.nj.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2016/04/njs_autism_rate_higher_than_ever_-_but_rest_of_the.htm...

http://archive.northjersey.com/news/report-new-jersey-s-autism-rate-is-the-highest-in-the-u-s-1.7526...

@Q4u

Interesting articles.  I forwarded to my brother.  Thank you!!

Formerly Ford1224
Frequent Contributor

My nephew is autistic and fortunately they caught it very early when he was an infant. He is now 12 and no one can tell he is autistic. He has two brothers and a lot of socilaization that helped him because intiially he did not speak and showed no emotion. He is still quiet with new people, most autistic children tend to like familiarity but he is so much better. It was very interesting watching the changes occur, watching him mimic affectionate behaviors from his brothers. He also has some wonderful gifts,  he can remember every detail and every word from the time he was very litte, it amazes me, I wish I could have a memory like that. He is very meticulous.

A lot can be done to improve autism these days.

Respected Contributor

I have a friend whose son was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was very young and now he is graduating from high school this year, top of his class, going to a big name university next year with a full scholarship. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I have a friend whose son was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was very young and now he is graduating from high school this year, top of his class, going to a big name university next year with a full scholarship. 

@itsmagic

That's fantastic!!  Thank you for posting that.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@Mgggg1 wrote:

My nephew is autistic and fortunately they caught it very early when he was an infant. He is now 12 and no one can tell he is autistic. He has two brothers and a lot of socilaization that helped him because intiially he did not speak and showed no emotion. He is still quiet with new people, most autistic children tend to like familiarity but he is so much better. It was very interesting watching the changes occur, watching him mimic affectionate behaviors from his brothers. He also has some wonderful gifts,  he can remember every detail and every word from the time he was very litte, it amazes me, I wish I could have a memory like that. He is very meticulous.

A lot can be done to improve autism these days.

@Mgggg1

We are optimistic.  He is very bright, knows what's going on.  It does not seem to have affected his intelligence in any way. 

Thank you for posting about your nephew.  That's very encouraging.

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

So sorry this has happened to your family.  I hear those spots on the radio that state that 1 in 110 kids are born with Autism.  There must be something going on for it to be such a high ratio.  I am going to be worried about that when my own kids have children.

That being said, it is good this was caught early and I hope for the best for your Grand Nephew.

We have a friend whose son has Aspergers (sp).  He is extremely intelligent and you would never know there was anything "off" about him.

We all have something, don't we, whether it be physical or emotional, we are all dealing with something on a personal level, some are just more obvious than others.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

So sorry this has happened to your family.  I hear those spots on the radio that state that 1 in 110 kids are born with Autism.  There must be something going on for it to be such a high ratio.  I am going to be worried about that when my own kids have children.

That being said, it is good this was caught early and I hope for the best for your Grand Nephew.

We have a friend whose son has Aspergers (sp).  He is extremely intelligent and you would never know there was anything "off" about him.

We all have something, don't we, whether it be physical or emotional, we are all dealing with something on a personal level, some are just more obvious than others.

@Puppy Lips

So true!  Few are blessed with perfect lives.

Formerly Ford1224