Super Contributor

Re: My knee is beyond repair

Thanks ladies for all of your stories. In feel better already. I'm moving out of state when I retire. I'm putting my house on the market after Easter. I have to pack up this house so I don't want to do the knee replacement right now. When I'm retired, I'll have plenty of time to focus on getting back to normal. Once thanks so much for all of your replies.
Valued Contributor

A friend of mine (aged 50) had both knees replaced in the week between Christmas and New Year.

We were all telling him that he shouldn't even think of having both done at the same time as he would be totally incapacitated for months. At least with one knee still good he could move about and use crutches.

However, he proved us all wrong as he was up walking and back to work (commuting by train) by the start of March. You wouldn't even know he'd had anything done looking at him today.

Honored Contributor

I am close to two people that had recent double replacements. Both people are very happy with the results.

Respected Contributor

50 is very young, especially if you live long. I believe the prostheses last 15-20 years.
Super Contributor

I have had both of my knees replaced. One in 2009 and the other in 2011. I had surgery in a nice surgical center by a doctor who did nothing but knee replacements. In on Monday, walking with a walker Tuesday through Friday and went home Friday afternoon with a passive resistance machine and a cryocooler. I started PT two days later. I was fortunate that my insurance covered the PT for 12 weeks/3 times a week. For the next 6 months I was always cognizant of it. After a year I didn't even think about it. I have 3 really important things to say after you have taken the time to select a great ortho that specializes in TKR's and done the research and know what to expect. 1. Do exactly what you're told. 2. Manage the pain even if you don't think you need the meds, trust me after an hour of pt, you will and 3. Do the PT without fail...it will hurt, but that first full revolution on a recumbent bike made me cry happy tears! Oh! One more thing, when your wound has healed and your doc and therapists say it is ok, invest in Mederma to work your scars. It won't hurt but will be sensitive,. You need to stretch that scar every which way so that you prevent scar tissue below the skin. Must do this at least once a day. I can hardly see mine. Can't offer medical advice just my experience. When all said and done, it changed my life! Write again if you have other questions about my experience. Good luck!
Occasional Contributor

Sincerely appreciate all the responses and wow what terrific info. Was very concerned about how bad I would be afterwards but sounds like I'll be ok alone for the most part. The doc mentioned a week in Rehab right after so will definitely do that. I'm determined to get better so will work hard. Freezing some meals is a great idea and will definitely do that. I live in a ranch home so stairs won't be an issue. Best wishes to all contemplating the procedure!
Valued Contributor

Hi, I have had both knees replaced,You need a great speaclist, my 1st one was in December 2010 then the 2nd one was November 2011. Yes it is hard to do, but you are fully medicated, and sent home with medication. I went to nursing home for the 1st, not for me, a waste, I had the visiting nurses in om my 2nd and they were so helpful! Your major deal will be take pain medication before your exercises, and do those exercises! I found if I kept doing my knee exercises through out the day it really helped, I still do them. You will feel so much better , it's hard but it is worth it. Good Luck!