Honored Contributor

Re: My husband's first physical exam in the 35 years we have been married.

[ Edited ]

@Constance2 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Constance2 wrote:

ALL Americans do not have health protection.  if you believe that, you are very much deceived.  If they fall in the middle, between wealth and poverty, they are expected to pay for everyone else's Medicaid care.

I pay dearly for Medicare and a supplement plan, but between deductibles and the cost of insurance,  and the amount I'd have to pay for tests that aren't covered, plus having to pay for prescriptions, if necessary, and any dental or eye doctor visits because Medicare doesn't cover them, there would be almost nothing left if I actually did visit a doctor.  And...that is the reality for many senior citizens since Obamacare was forced upon us.

I have no idea what state you live in, or what "pay dearly" means, but it seems you need to talk to a licensed professional during Open Enrollment.   Medicare and a Supplement plan is one way to go, but perhaps you should go with an Advantage plan, instead.  

In CA, the monthly premium for a prescription plan (Part D)  starts at $15 a month and is worth its weight in gold!

Just fyi, Medicare began in 1965, so you can't blame Obama for that.  

I hope you check out all the alternatives, because it sounds like there are more affordable options you could have selected. 

I live in a state that is about to go bankrupt, but that's beside the point.  All of my options were explained to me when I signed up with BCBS, and they were quite limited.

And FYI, Medicare and I are not at odds.  It's the UNaffordable Care Act that is the problem.  People are blind to the fact that the reason health care costs are so high is because the government stepped in.  I recall it was Hillary Clinton and Bill who first started messing with health care as it was, and the disaster people face today with all of the confusion with the various plans, is the result of their interference.  My son's deductible jumped from $500 to $8,000 only after the ACA was inflicted upon us.  It's not hard to see who is responsible for that when people take their blinders off to the truth.

Whoa!!   Where are you getting your information from?

Medical costs have been high for as long as I can remember, and it's not because Hillary & Bill "messed" with it.  (As you recall, no changes were made at that point in time.)

It might be difficult for you to consider, but the healthcare industry has  a LOT to do with rising costs.   You can't blame politicians for everything.

Respected Contributor

@June222 wrote:

@Melania wrote:

@docsgirl wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Constance2 wrote:

It's wonderful that God has blessed him with good health so he was able to go so long without having to see a doctor.  I'm sure you're anxiously awaiting what comes of the office visit.  Most doctors will run tests without your husband having to ask, especially since he hasn't had any for so long.  Try not to worry and let us know how things turn out.

Let's hope that's the case. There's a difference between actually being healthy and going undiagnosed.

Chynna,

You put it perfectly.  Just because someone claims to feel fine doesn't mean there isn't something brewing inside.  It's best to go for check-ups so things can be caught early.  Putting one's head in the sand doesn't make it go away and only serves to make things worse because by the time it's diagnosed, it's often too late.    docgirl

ITA!! Some act like it's a badge of honor or something. 

OP why does your husband get to decide? You should be going with him especially after all this time.

@Melania   Going with  DH into the exam room??? While he is getting his prostate checked among other things??? Really? I think he is a big boy and can go to the Doctor on his own. I care and love him and want him to take care of himself....but I am not his keeper nor his Mother( who is still alive and kicking).

If he had a disease that required medical tests and attention, I would of course go to those meetings with the Doctor and want to understand what the protocol would be... BUT, for a physical exam, NO.   I would not want my husband in the room for mine.... nor would he want me in the room for his... that is just odd. If you do that with your significant other.. and it works for you that is great. 

That is ridiculous and you know it. I wasn't suggesting you be in the EXAM room with him. Good grief.

How about after the actual physical the doctor meets with the patient in his office to go over recommendations etc? Ours then does everything electronically as he goes over it with us. A couple use their dictaphones to draft a letter or the findings etc.

Ours all do that after we are examined...then we go over everything. Sheesh.

Trusted Contributor

@Melania   No. Not unless DH was mentally deficient in some capacity. Again, if he needed surgery or such, I might, to understand the process.... otherwise he is capable of going to the doctor alone. 

Esteemed Contributor

I go with my wife to all of her doctors visits. For me I am more interested in her physical health than I am for my own. Know all of her doctors as there are many of the same ones that I see.

Do I go because I think she is not capable of understanding anything that the doctors are saying to her? No, I go mainly because she wants me to go, and I have much more interest in health and fitness than most other people that visit doctors only when they have a medical issue.

Of course when her visits require privacy, I am smart enough to leave the exam room, and I don't need any of the staff to tell me when "it is time".

Whatever works for people that is up to them. Will say most of my co-workers for many years wouldn't know Coumadin from Tylenol and many of them were on  prescriptions and couldn't even tell me the it's name, much less why they were taking it. Lost count of many that decided to "just quit" their meds as it was "too much to remember".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn wrote:

I go with my wife to all of her doctors visits. For me I am more interested in her physical health than I am for my own. Know all of her doctors as there are many of the same ones that I see.

Do I go because I think she is not capable of understanding anything that the doctors are saying to her? No, I go mainly because she wants me to go, and I have much more interest in health and fitness than most other people that visit doctors only when they have a medical issue.

Of course when her visits require privacy, I am smart enough to leave the exam room, and I don't need any of the staff to tell me when "it is time".

Whatever works for people that is up to them. Will say most of my co-workers for many years wouldn't know Coumadin from Tylenol and many of them were on  prescriptions and couldn't even tell me the it's name, much less why they were taking it. Lost count of many that decided to "just quit" their meds as it was "too much to remember".

hckynut(john)

Amen, John!! It has nothing to do with being mentally deficient at all and to use it as an excuse is just plain ignorant.

OP is making excuses that have no real merit. You and I both know from our own experiences.

I do the same as you with my spouse and he with me. Two sets of ears are far better than one when health is discussed. It has nothing to with being a big boy or girl. That is insulting. 

ITA about remebering the meds. names and what tey are for too!

Bravo to you for being an involved spouse in your dear wife's well being and she your's!! I can't think of anything more important, can you?

Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

@June222 wrote:

@Melania   No. Not unless DH was mentally deficient in some capacity. Again, if he needed surgery or such, I might, to understand the process.... otherwise he is capable of going to the doctor alone. 

You' stated earlier that your DH lies so are you sure you would know that surgery or such was recommended?  If he didn't feel it was necessary would he tell you or just let you think the doctor said all was well?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I personally go to almost all of my husband's doctors appts because he likes me there as much as possible since he knows I understand their vernacular much more than he does and because two minds are better than one when it comes to remembering what the doc said (taking notes during the appts helps with this too- thanks @bebe777) and what follow up questions to ask.

With that said, I don't think we need to be essentially shaming someone for not going with their spouse to their doctors' appointments. Each couple needs to decide what works best for them and no one really should judge others on what they decide.

Trusted Contributor

It is his body... I am not his mother or his keeper.. I love him but do not own him, nor make choices for him. I may offer my opinion and if he accepts that then that is by his choice, as he did with going to get a physical..... I  also respect the fact that if I made a medical decision, he could offer his opinion, but, I in the end make the decision on what I do  to or with my body. 

Esteemed Contributor

My husband is fairly independent, as am I. We don’t typically go to doctor appointments together unless there is a need to do so. There’s nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks.

Trusted Contributor

There is no right or wrong way... every couple should do what works for them.