Honored Contributor

Evidentally, in the area, there's many who are sick with it.  So I'm tending to him and hope I don't get it too.  I figure he's on the down side of it.  I've read it can go on for 2 wks.  Stands for Respiratory Syncytial Virus.  No idea where he got it.  So back to being super careful about spreading it.  Symptoms are runny nose, decrease in appetite, cough, sneezing, fever.  

The congestion is really bad.  As a child he had pneumonia and broncitis.  So I sent him to the doctor.  He has 3 pres., and the cough med., (over the counter type) makes his coughing worse. He had some chicken soup yesterday.

So we'll see how he's doing today when he gets up.  

I hadn't heard of it before, so head's up.  Any age, any season can get it. (Virus). 

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal , seems like the triple threat is bad this year, flu, RSV and Covid.  Hope your DH recovers soon and you don't get it.  LM

Honored Contributor

Hope he feels better real soon. I have two friends who both have it, the congestion is really bad for them also. Take care of yourself,

Teddy bear holding a yellow sign saying Get Well Soon isolated on white background

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal  My daughter's whole family got it a while ago.  She said the worst was the congestion/runny noses.  They got through it with Vicks, a vaporizer and some OTCs.  I'm not sure if the doctor prescribed anything or not.   She went through a lot of tissues with the grandkids.  For them it was like a bad cold that was mostly nasal. The hardest part for her was chasing around the kids to get them to blow their noses while she was so congested.  Took about a week for the kids/a week and half for her and husband.  

Esteemed Contributor

It seems to have started off in childcare and schools where it has had more than half  the kids very ill.  Hope he gets well quickly.

Honored Contributor

Until I read through this thread, everything I've been hearing about RSV was how overloaded so many hospitals were with very young children who were seriously ill with RSV.   

Trusted Contributor

Yogi Tea - Throat Comfort (6 Pack) - Soothes the Throat - 96 Tea Bags ...

@qualitygal this is good with a little honey, it really helps to calm things down.  Hope your DH is better soon!

Respected Contributor

DH had RSV...it lasted for 2 weeks just as the doctor's office said.  Lots of cases in the area.  

The OTC products and saline spray didn't seem to help the coughing so midway through he went in to their office and got an antibiotic which helped.   The coughing was the worst !

He switched to paper towels from tissues because of the runny nose.  Thank goodness I didn't get it.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

I had this a month ago and still don't feel 100%.  The worst part for me was the dry coughing.  I totally lost my voice for 5 days from coughing so much.  I've never had that happen and I had bronchitis multiple times when I was young.

The lack of sleep from coughing all night didn't help either.  It really knocked me out for a couple of weeks.  I also had absolutely no appetite and found it very hard to eat.  I started feeling better after two weeks but still continued to cough.

Good luck to your huband!  I hope he feels better soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal 

I have read and heard that this started primarily with young kids. A couple well respected Virologists/Immunologists I saw said this was because of being secluded for a long period of time. Their studies showed that this effected their immune systems ability to fight off different viruses, this being 1 of them.

Kids get a Respiratory Virus and around and around it goes. The good thing about RSV is that, at this point, it is not considered a serious problem for most adults. To my knowledge, with home treatments, it lasts around 2 weeks for most.

My best to your husband, he can handle it.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)