Honored Contributor

Re: My husband and in laws in denial about Alzheimer's

On 11/7/2014 betteb said:
On 11/7/2014 Skylands said:
On 11/6/2014 happy housewife said:

When a person is on dialysis there are certain toxins that just can't be removed by the dialysis and can cause dementia too if they get built up. Has she been actually diagnosed with Alzheimers or does the OP even realize there are other types of dementia than alzheimers.

Yes, I would agree. Just because U say U R a health care worker, that means nothing! R U a RN, MD or what? If not, than U lack credibility.

Dialysis can be a cause of this kind behavior.

Dialysis in itself will not cause dementia, but sepsis, related to dialysis will.

That is incorrect - some toxic materials are not removed by dialysis and if the patient is not very mindful of their diet they do build up and cause dementia.

And skylands -I agree with you - many posters come here and say they are "health care workers" - what does that mean? A nurse aide - a dietary worker - a person who types dictation? Or a neurosurgeon? I always assume if they use the term health care worker it probably is someone who has not been educated or licensed - non professional staff.

Super Contributor

happy housewife, according to the ladies who give my dad dialysis three times per week, you are absolutely correct. My dad does very, very well if he minds his diet. However, when he has had a few weeks of poor eating (he loves his fast food and candy), he gets dementia-like symptoms. The ladies who do his dialysis have told him that dialysis cannot remove all the toxins from the body, nor is the process as efficient as functioning kidneys. They have warned him that when he gets noticeably dementia like, that it is because he is ingesting substances that build up toxins in the body that the dialysis cannot completely remove. They have also added that the dialysis process itself creates toxins, but I am relaying what he has told me, so I may not be relaying exact information as they said it. It is important to note that no one in his family has ever had dementia BTW. Sharp as tacks into their 80's and until they died.
Respected Contributor

My mom had Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. When she was still at home and in the mid-stages of her disease, she developed a UTI that gave her visual and auditory hallucinations. She landed in the hospital for treatment. However, she was admitted to the Psych floor because there was no one to watch her 24/7 on a medical floor. It was at that time my dad and I talked to a social worker and when she was discharged we had found a wonderful private care facility for dementia patients. The only requirement was that a patient be ambulatory and could pay cash. They did not accept insurance of any kind. The best my dad could do was to report it on his income tax. Fortunately, they had the money to do it and I am well aware that not everyone can afford this.

My point is that UTI's also can exacerbate issues that dementia people are at times faced with.

Super Contributor

On 11/6/2014 only shops online said:
On 11/6/2014 champagnepoodle said:

Actually you do not die from Alzheimers. Just so you know.

Yes, you do die from Alzheimers. It's just not a disease that causes loss of memory. It is a brain disease. As the brain becomes more diseased, it loses the ability to control bodily functions and to maintain organ function. The organs, including the heart and lungs, will eventually cease to function. The patient dies.

Again, you do NOT die from Alzheimers, you die with it. You die from something else.

Esteemed Contributor

Let the family hang on to their hope as long as they need to, what is it hurting. When there is nothing more to be done, hospital staff will speak to them.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read any of the responses, just the OPs post.

Just let me interject that your family probably knows very well what is happening even tho they keep rationalizing the symptoms. I also had that "hope".... the one everyone kept telling me was "false hope". I understood completely what was going on and understood completely what they were saying, but I also know that hope is God's Gift. It helps all of us get through a tremendously difficult situation, even the patient. I did not need to be hit over the head with the realities, I lived them, I knew them and when the time came for the difficult decisions, they were made. I've seen enough in the medical field who have no time for any of this, and treat the family like poor deluded fools clinging to false hope. Please don't fracture their hope, they know......

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/7/2014 champagnepoodle said:
On 11/6/2014 only shops online said:
On 11/6/2014 champagnepoodle said:

Actually you do not die from Alzheimers. Just so you know.

Yes, you do die from Alzheimers. It's just not a disease that causes loss of memory. It is a brain disease. As the brain becomes more diseased, it loses the ability to control bodily functions and to maintain organ function. The organs, including the heart and lungs, will eventually cease to function. The patient dies.

Again, you do NOT die from Alzheimers, you die with it. You die from something else.

Champagnepoodle- You are wrong

From alz.org

“Unfortunately, today there are no Alzheimer's survivors. If you have Alzheimer's disease, you either die from it or die with it,” said Harry Johns, president and CEO of the Alzheimer's Association. “Now we know that 1 in 3 seniors dies with Alzheimer's disease or another dementia. Urgent, meaningful action is necessary, particularly as more and more people age into greater risk for developing a disease that today has no cure and no way to slow or stop its progression.”

Alzheimer's disease is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States and is the only leading cause of death without a way to prevent, cure or even slow its progression. Based on 2010 data, Alzheimer's was reported as the underlying cause of death for 83,494 individuals — individuals who died from Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's Association 2013 Facts and Figures reveals that in 2013 an estimated 450,000 people in the United States will die with Alzheimer's. The true number of deaths caused by Alzheimer's is likely to be somewhere between the officially reported number of those dying from and those dying with Alzheimer's.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/7/2014 happy housewife said:

When a person is on dialysis there are certain toxins that just can't be removed by the dialysis and can cause dementia too if they get built up. Has she been actually diagnosed with Alzheimers or does the OP even realize there are other types of dementia than alzheimers.

Yes, I would agree. Just because U say U R a health care worker, that means nothing! R U a RN, MD or what? If not, than U lack credibility.

Dialysis in itself will not cause dementia, but sepsis, related to dialysis will.

That is incorrect - some toxic materials are not removed by dialysis and if the patient is not very mindful of their diet they do build up and cause dementia.

And skylands -I agree with you - many posters come here and say they are "health care workers" - what does that mean? A nurse aide - a dietary worker - a person who types dictation? Or a neurosurgeon? I always assume if they use the term health care worker it probably is someone who has not been educated or licensed - non professional staff.

But that is not the dialysis itself causing dementia, it's a result of the patient being non-compliant with the prescribed renal diet.

I'm a Certified Dialysis Technician. I ran patients on the machines for years, counseled them on their diets, fluid restrictions, labs, etc.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 11/7/2014 happy housewife said:

But that is not the dialysis itself causing dementia, it's a result of the patient being non-compliant with the prescribed renal diet.

I'm a Certified Dialysis Technician. I ran patients on the machines for years, counseled them on their diets, fluid restrictions, labs, etc.

You are clearly just trying to be argumentative, or you did not read the posts you are answering. No one anywhere said the process of dialysis caused dementia.

Esteemed Contributor

I think people tend to,use the term Alzheimer's very easily. my father died from Parkinson's disease at 85. For the last few years of his life he had multiple hospital stays as a result of the Parkinson's disease. every time he had a hospital stay he had issues with not knowing who his family members were and telling stories about how he had been kidnapped and was being held against his will because the doctors and nurses were trying to steal his money. Once he was released and back home again his mental state quickly went back to normal. there are tests that can be run to test for Alzheimer's disease and unless your MIL has been tested and judged to have Alzheimer's I don't think you should assume she does.